none
RDP: WEBCAM Support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

The challenge is offering a video conference support (Skype) with our RDP client.

I know a webcam can be supported with the RemoteFX USB redirection protocol.
    But this low-level protocol is not really optimized in term of bandwidth. And with 'modern' webcams the network traffic can be too big - Even for a LAN connection.

Do you have a roadmap for an RDP virtual channel dedicated to the webcam support ?
    With a such virtual channel, the webcam could be fully supported by the RDP client, and a 'resampled' video stream (fps, resolution and quality) could be sent to the server.

Regards

Vincent

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

Good to hear from you.  There is not a webcam-specific protocol.  Even if there was, there may be some additional issues regarding Skype; I have colleagues on my team that can answer Skype-specific inquiries.  But, as for a Webcam device redirection protocol, there is not one.  Also, as we discussed, remoting devices via USB is fairly heavy weight and should not be used when there is a device-specific redirection protocol.

Can you e-mail me at [dochelp (at) Microsoft (dot) com]?  I have several addresses for you and I'm not certain which one you respond to.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:46 PM