Microsoft Apps Can Use Admin Rights. How Can Mine? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app which got delisted from the Store recently, because it requires admin rights (I need to call bcdedit.exe and reboot the PC after adding an item to the boot menu).

I was told that this is forbidden moving forward, so far so good, right?

But then, lo and behold, while working on my Surface Pro 2017, I see a Microsoft app - which requires admin rights!!!

Check the app Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.

I had uploaded a screenshot, but I get the error "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account."

Isn't this unfair competition - at the very least - on the part of Microsoft, when they are free to publish admin apps and we're not?

I want to republish my very useful app in the Windows Store again.

How do I do that?

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To republish your app, you will need to update your product to comply with policy according to your failure report.

> Isn't this unfair competition - at the very least - on the part of Microsoft, when they are free to publish admin apps and we're not?

Some feature or capability is highly restricted and may not be available to all the developer accounts since they're only available to OEM. For more details, you can contact reportapp@micorsoft.com to republish your app.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:07 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:03 AM
  • My app requires admin permissions, and was previously approved, and listed in the Windows Store.

Then somebody couldn't live with that, and had to delist my app, because it required admin rights - which was fine before.

They cited a change in policy. Now if the policy has changed, it must be applied equally to all vendors, including Microsoft, the OEM here.

If you're not doing that, you're opening yourself up to anti-trust lawsuits. We are seeking legal counsel on the matter already.

Since my app will not function without admin rights, you are creating unfair competition between yourself and your developers.

How do you think developers will react to that when they hear about this and when you're already desperate to get them to sign up?

Please cite the sections in your developer agreement where I consented to this bias during my app submission process.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:55 AM
  • I am still waiting for this information.

How does Microsoft expect developers to sign up for their platform when they're unfairly competing with them?

Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:43 PM