none
The application binding data format is invalid.

General discussion

•  

Hi guys, I am getting this weird error when one of our users is trying to deploy our application in vista home basic throu clickonce. The application was built in c# VS 2005. Any thoughts?

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.0.6000.0 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.312
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://....../T...WinApp.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://....../T..._WinApp.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [5/1/2008 10:18:29 AM] : Activation of http://....../T...WinApp.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [5/1/2008 10:18:29 AM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
      - The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.GetAssemblyManifest(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CheckAndReferenceApplication(SubscriptionState subState, DefinitionAppId appId, Int64 transactionId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:06 PM

All replies

•  

Your user is trying to *deploy* it, or they are trying to *install* it?

If they are trying to deploy it, how are they deploying it? http? ftp?

If they are trying to install it, do they have the .Net 2.0 (or higher) Framework installed?

Robin

Friday, May 02, 2008 12:28 AM
  •  

Hi fffz,

We are changing the issue type to "Comment" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question" by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:25 AM
  • For anyone else that gets this error, it has been difficult for me to find a resolution to this issue.  In my case:

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of <network location>My.Application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [1/12/2009 6:53:55 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

- The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)

- Source: System.Deployment

Appears to be a problem with the App store and need to clear everything out of the Apps folder:
    In our case I removed the 2.0 folder from the APPS folder and the application would install and auto-update once again with no problems. 

XP: Remove the 2.0 folder from      %userprofile%\Local Settings\Apps

Vista: Remove the 2.0 folder from  %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps

Info found from:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/2ab69785-23fa-4c65-bfbc-861dd2d3822c/

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Just delete the files in the folder

(for me it is C:\Users\Muhammad\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\BZWCMEVE.1NQ\LG9M2E93.VRO)

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\BZWCMEVE.1NQ\LG9M2E93.VRO\manifests

then delete the manifests folder too.

it worked for me perfectly. I use visual studio 2013 Desktop on win-8 (x64) on my laptop.

I reinstalled the clickonce applications.

Saleem Qadri

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:46 PM

(for me it is C:\Users\Muhammad\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\BZWCMEVE.1NQ\LG9M2E93.VRO)

There is no need to delete 2.0 folder as other applications use it.

it worked for me perfectly. I use visual studio 2013 Desktop on win-8 (x64) on my laptop.

Saleem Qadri

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:49 PM
  • This worked for me!  Thank you!
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:18 AM
  • Brilliant!!

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:55 AM
  • Thanks Brother | It's Worked..
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Thanks Brother |    It's Worked..
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:00 AM
  • Thanks a LOT, It helped me to resolve my issue correctly
    Friday, August 21, 2015 4:51 AM

Saleem Qadri

Followed your directions and it worked for me.  As I found everything in the 2.0 directory is what I deleted.  Once deleted, just return the app and it automatically installs itself.  Done and done!
    Monday, December 21, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Sos un genio, me has salvado. Muchas gracias
    Monday, May 02, 2016 9:47 PM
  • Thanks mate
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:10 PM
  • very good! :)
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:46 PM
  • Thanks for this help, now everything works
    Sunday, September 09, 2018 4:42 PM