none
Increasing the ammount of Video ram for the Virtual PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've compiled an Win. Embedded Compact 7 image for the VirtualPC using the OS design , everything is running fine but I'm having trouble increasing the amount of video ram. The current settings are from the default Virtual_x86 BSP  and there are 4MB of ram available. Does anyone ever had this problem before ?

Regards,

Alin

Friday, November 18, 2011 2:05 PM

All replies

• I think that VirtualPC can run only at 640x480 with a maximum of 32bpp so 4MB should be enough
    Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Actually, with 16bpp settings, you can even have 1600 x 1200 x 16bpp which is still less than 4MB.
    Perhaps, you can tell us the resolution you want to use?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:02 PM
  • I know that I can get 3640x480x32bpp and 1600x1200x16bpp but I was hoping to get at least 800x600x32 with at least 16MB VRAM because I'm developing a silverlight application with some animations and until the hardware BSP for compact 7 is out I would like to test the app in a VirtualPC, but with 4MB the animations are not that fluid.

Monday, November 21, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Since the display driver of VirtualPC BSP is just a plain frambuffer render but not utilize any hardware acceleration.
    So even you have extra video memory, unless the display driver utilize the video acceleration on VirtualPC, it probably makes no different.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Since the display driver of VirtualPC BSP is just a plain frambuffer render but not utilize any hardware acceleration.
    So even you have extra video memory, unless the display driver utilize the video acceleration on VirtualPC, it probably makes no different.
    In all the videos and Microsoft online tutorials the resolution looks to be 1024x768x32 and the graphics are fluid, is there any way to achieve the same effect on my VirtualPC image ? using the provided VirtualX86 BSP ? how do you guys test your applications in the Virtual PC ?
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Consider to use a real CEPC?
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:32 AM