Why is the Data Source option of MySQL Database available in VS 2008 but not in 2015? RRS feed

• Question

• User-696641838 posted

I am trying to transfer my website from a Visual Studio 2008 version to a 2015 version.  After transferring the code, I attempted to create a connection to a MySQL Database that I created with MySql Workbench.  The website in the VS 2008 version has a “MySQL Database” option to choose from in Server Explorer’s “Change Data Source” window, but not in the 2015 version.  How do I get this option so that I can create a connection to it?

Maurice

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:56 PM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

The integrated data management tools have to be updated by database vendors each time a new version of VS comes out.

Last I heard, not yet available for MySQL in VS 2015, but you should check their web site for update driver and VS tools info.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:55 PM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

The integrated data management tools have to be updated by database vendors each time a new version of VS comes out.

Last I heard, not yet available for MySQL in VS 2015, but you should check their web site for update driver and VS tools info.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:55 PM
  • User-696641838 posted

I have just spoken with a technical representative for MySQL and received information which I needed in order to link the latest version of Visual Studio with a MySQL database.  I learned that I needed to go to the “MySQL Community Downloads” page of the “mysql.com” website and select the “MySQL on Windows (Installer & Tools)” option on that page.  I also learned that I needed to select the “MySQL for Visual Studio” option and then select the “Download” button for the “Windows (x86, 32-bit). MSI Installer” in order to obtain the latest “mysql-for-visualstudio-1.2.4.msi” software.  Once this was downloaded and executed, my 2015 version of Visual Studio finally had the ability to connect with the MySQL database on my computer.  Yahoo!!!  This may be helpful to others with the same problem that I have had.

Maurice

Friday, September 11, 2015 2:17 PM