How to use XML-RPC on Windows Phone 8?

Question

• I have been using the CookComputing library to do XML-RPC calls, and it works so easy. However, now that I am working on an app for the Windows Phone, it no longer works. Are there any other libraries that are available, or is there some other method that works well? I tried an HTTPWebRequest, but it runs extremely slow and isn't worth using.  I am just learning how to make apps, so I don't know all of the C# that I probably should. Thanks for the help!
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:47 AM

Answers

• What version of Windows Phone are you targeting? The XML-RPC.Net library seems to also be available for Windows Phone 7 and I would guess that that version should still be compatible with Silverlight Windows Phone Projects (WP8 and Silverlight 8.1).

see: http://xml-rpc.net/download.html

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:42 AM
  • Hi Mrwizard,

XML-RPC is a third-party library and it’s out of our support range. If you have any questions about how to use this library, I would recommend you contact the author of the library.

Thank you for your understanding.

If you still have questions about windows phone development, you are welcome to post here.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:31 AM

All replies

• What version of Windows Phone are you targeting? The XML-RPC.Net library seems to also be available for Windows Phone 7 and I would guess that that version should still be compatible with Silverlight Windows Phone Projects (WP8 and Silverlight 8.1).

see: http://xml-rpc.net/download.html

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:42 AM
  •   I have the sdk for 8.0 and the target phone is windows 8.  i have downloaded the 3.0.0.270-snapshot.zip version from xml-rpc. net.  it compiles fine, but when i run on my phone i get System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported.  I have run it on a non windows phone application and the same code works when it is not used on the phone, so i assume it is something that is not in the sdk for the windows phone.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Hi Mrwizard,

XML-RPC is a third-party library and it’s out of our support range. If you have any questions about how to use this library, I would recommend you contact the author of the library.

Thank you for your understanding.

If you still have questions about windows phone development, you are welcome to post here.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:31 AM
  • I have found a link that shows how to get the XML-RPC to work on windows phone.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kevinash/archive/2011/10/05/connect-windows-phone-7-apps-to-wordpress-using-xmlrpc.aspx

The only problem is, I want to have a library that I can reuse so I don't what to use the dispatcher delegate that the link uses.  I would prefer to send an asynccallback method.  however, when I try to use one, the begininvoke method never finishes.  Are there any thoughts on how to fix that?

Friday, November 7, 2014 2:32 AM