none
Project Server - Column - Not editable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using Project Server 2010. In my PWA site, I can edit all the columns but only one column not permitting me to edit. I don't know where to check and what to do.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you can't link a text field with notes. Let's have a look at direction:
    You can "link" a text field with notes using a formula [Notes], but it will not help you. If you use any RTF possibilities, text will not be displayed in your text field completely. Moreover, you will not be able to edit this text field in Project Web App, since it is a formula field. 
    Linking Notes field to a text field: First, it is not possible at all. Moreover, what would be your benefit? You were only allowed to edit text field losing all features of Notes. ....

So you can only use a text field - without linking anything. I am not sure why you would like to link these fields? If you explain, perhaps anyone will have a working solution for you?

Vadim, from my understanding, Think differently is aware of Notes features. He struggles by restriction in Project Web App. Notes can only be edited in Project client, but not in Project Web App.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

could you please give some additional information? What site? Which column?

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:58 AM
  • It is a "Notes" in Project Professional. Sorry, I didn't get your point.."what site ?"

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

you wrote "In my PWA site, I can edit all the columns but only one column ":

But I am still not sure if I got your question? You have added notes in Project client, open your project in Project Center of Project Web App for editing? You can't edit your note, but you can edit all another fields? Or do you want to know something different?

Notes is an RTF field, and so write-protected. I am afraid, there is nothing you can do about this. There are some restrictions for editing projects in Project Web App.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:31 PM
  •  

Hi,

You got my problem but it seems there is no solution for that other than creating a text column for that.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Sorry, yes. That is your only chance at the moment.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

Can we solve like this.

1. Create a text column and link this text column to notes column.

2. In web interface, in views, we use only text columns.

I am wondering about how to create link to text column to notes column. Is it possible ?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Hi !

1) Please note that "notes" filed is often used for commuication between project manager (status manager) and resources assigned to the task. If Project Manager (PM) add note ('notes' field) to the task in Project Pro and publish project then all resources assigned to the task:

- recieve that "note" in "My task" view (need to click on task to see all assignment data)

- may reply in "notes" filed adding reports/comments/problems  so on.. 

Usually no need to edit "Notes" field by someone else  except PM and assiggned resources. If you have specific needs please write ones briefly .

2) Could you explain how you would do "Create a text column" (creating enterprise custom field or use local ?)  and  "link text column to 'notes' column"? 

Vadim Gerya, PMP
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

you can't link a text field with notes. Let's have a look at direction:
    You can "link" a text field with notes using a formula [Notes], but it will not help you. If you use any RTF possibilities, text will not be displayed in your text field completely. Moreover, you will not be able to edit this text field in Project Web App, since it is a formula field. 
    Linking Notes field to a text field: First, it is not possible at all. Moreover, what would be your benefit? You were only allowed to edit text field losing all features of Notes. ....

So you can only use a text field - without linking anything. I am not sure why you would like to link these fields? If you explain, perhaps anyone will have a working solution for you?

Vadim, from my understanding, Think differently is aware of Notes features. He struggles by restriction in Project Web App. Notes can only be edited in Project client, but not in Project Web App.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:10 AM