Windows 8

Question

• I have HP Laptop DV 6 Pavillion, Windows 7 Home Premium Genuine OS, Service Pack One. It has 8 GB of RAM, 640 GB of Internal Installed HD, Processor is i5, 2.27 GHZ. It is a 64bit and at present my laptop rating is 5.9 points.

Now let me know, can I download and install Windows 8? If yes which one? Is it 3.6 GB or 4.8 GB? Does this act like a Genuine original OS? If I’m not comfortable with it, after installation, can I go back to my previous OS, i.e. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits OS?

Kindly reply.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:06 AM

Answers

• If you want the developer tools, download the 4.8GB. It requires a dual layer DVD. Otherwise the 3.6GB one will work for you.

The Windows 8 Developer Preview expires in March 2012.

You should not install Windows 8 Developer Preview on your main computer - it's not even a beta product yet and bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Also, it is stated on the Windows Developer Preview download page that you must reinstall the previous OS if you install on the same partition:

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

You can dual boot Windows 7 and 8. Backup important data first, and you should not touch your restore partition.
    Here is a guide:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

• Proposed as answer by Mayur-Tendulkar Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Salu D' Souza Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:38 AM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:13 AM