none
Where is WinRes.exe? RRS feed

• Question

• I know I can launch this from the command line, however, we use many custom types in our application as well as some third party tools, and all forms inherit from a custom form, so when launching this way nothing seems to work correctly - I end up getting placeholders for practically everything.

The documentation for WinRes (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8bxdx003(vs.80).aspx) says: 

If the form whose resources you are editing is an inherited form, both the assembly contained the inherited form and the assembly containing the inheriting (derived) form must either be registered in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC), or must reside in the same directory as WinRes.exe. For more information about installing .NET Framework components into the GAC, see Global Assembly Cache.

We won't be installing the assemblies into the GAC, so need to move the assemblies to the same directory as WinRes.exe - but I'll be damned if I can find the file.  I've searched on the local hard drive, I've dug around the directories listed in the PATH of the VS2005 command prompt that I can launch it from, but I just can't seem to find it.  Anyone know where it is?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:33 PM

Answers

All replies