none
Does the improved color/depth sync in the Feb 2012 SDK work for the old XBox hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• The new Kinect for Windows SDK from February 2012 has "better color/depth synchronization". Does this only work for the new Windows hardware, or can I get the benefit while continuing to use my Kinect for XBox hardware? Does this improvement depend on the new firmware?

Thanks, 

Michael

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• I see in the release notes that the depth, color, and skeleton are returned in order in the SDK 1.0. Is this what is meant by improved synchronization? I would like the color and depth images to be simultaneous, if possible.

Thanks,

Michael

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Yes, these changes apply to both the Kinect for Xbox 360 and Kinect for Windows hardware.

Kinect for Windows SDK 1.0 includes new events (the "FrameEnd" event in native code, and the "AllFramesReady" event in managed code). These return corresponding color, depth, and skeleton frames as a single event, although the images are not necessarily captured by the hardware at exactly the same instant.

We are working on this problem, and hope to make improvements to capture synchronization in a future release of the SDK.

John
    K4W Dev

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:15 AM
  • I'm using the time stamps to sync up color and depth, as best as possible. Are the time stamps in the new SDK improved? 
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Improved, yes. Perfect, not (yet).

John
    K4W Dev

• Marked as answer by stereosphere Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:09 PM