How to decide which technology to use? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Please help me decide on which direction should we take regarding the topic below.

We have a windows desktop application that is running in .NET 1.1. The application has a map navigation which is running using Map-Point. Now, we are on the process of upgrading the system to .NET 2.0 or higher using different map (which only support higher versions of .NET). The application is running on multiple units of our clients using Win XPe.

We wanted to modify the application so that it can detect which map to use (the new or the old one) depending on the .NET version of the unit.

I have heard a "desktop widget" can do this, however I haven't seen any good article to read in creating such widget.

The following are the questions that I have:

1.) What would be the common component or widget to detect which map to load?

2.) Should we also create a widget or component for both maps?

Please advise and point me to the right direction if possible.

Best regards,

James

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:01 AM

All replies

• Either I've not understood your post or I have and I don't follow how you're going to achieve your purpose.

If you wrote your app and install the thing, why don't you know what version of .Net it's using?

I also don't follow how widgets come into it.

Widgets are self contained apps, rather like a mini self contained web page really.

Widgets run in the vista sidebar.

I believe you can install the vista sidebar on xp.

But.... widgets are html and some scripting.  You can use vbscript or javascript.  There's a gadget api to learn as well.

There are a stack of articles on widgets.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=writing+vista+widgets&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&redir_esc=&ei=E542TamyD4mShAe27PDVAg

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Andy.

I just mentioned widgets and component since I don't know which way to go for this project. The scenario is:

1.) We have a new windows desktop application (.net 2.0), inside this application is divided into different sections (player, map, etc.).

2.) For the map section, it has the ability to be maximize to the same size as with the application (overlapping other components).

3.) We also have the old desktop application (.net 1.1) which also has a map section but using the old one. 

We want to create a common "component" that will be referenced for both old/new desktop application and the "component" should be the one to decide which map to load (old or new). What would be the best technology to use in this kind of scenario? 

On the side note, this application is and will be running under Windows XP embedded.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:46 AM
  • WHat exactly does the common component have to do?

I don't really follow why there's a component at all.

On the face of it, your 1.1 app loads, runs or whatever it does,  application a.

You 2.0 app loads, runs or whatever it doesm application b.

Why is there a common component?

Sounds to me like it'd have to be activex and anything other than straight properties is tricky with .Net activex. Exposing events is a nightmare.

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:10 PM
  • By the sound of it, so there is no need to have a common component is what you are saying?

And yes, you have a point that exposing events would be a nightmare. Does creating separate components for both maps and loading it dynamically (which ever is set in the configuration) sounds better?

Please give me suggestions on what would be the best approach.

Thanks for your help and time.

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:56 PM
  • let your software client to shift to windows 7 operating at the earliest.
    PHIJO MP
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Sounds like you just want to check the .net version of the Environment and dynamically load/add the correct control?
    http://pdkm.spaces.live.com/
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:49 PM
  • We are considering any ideas to implement this but what we have for now is to load the control dynamically based from what is set in the configuration or database.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:00 AM
  • You have two versions of your app.

One solution uses .Net 1.1.

One solution uses .Net 2.0

I don't follow why you need to check anything to know which version of .Net the solution uses.

You have the old solution and the new solution.  The old one should load the old map and the new one should load the new map.

I don't get why it has to be dynamic or whatever.  Why are you not just building the old solution with the old map thingummy and the new solution with the new map thingummy?

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:23 AM
  • I was under the impression that the core was remaining at v1 regardless but could launch the new-age component if it was available????
    http://pdkm.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:01 PM