none
Reference For Using Visual C # Forums and Objects Such as Chart ?? RRS feed

• Question

• I hearken back to the good ol' days of VB 6 where a guy (or gal) could actually buy language references and other books straight from Microsoft, or get them with the software package, to tell 'em what's what. Not anymore, that I know of.

I was told to enter the new millennium and download Visual Studio 2017 and start using Visual C #. Not a bad idea, I thought as I already program in C. The thing is on my first project I'm feeling kind of swamped and with precious few resources. I'm sure they are out there, but where ?

I've loaded a "chart" .... actually a line graph, but I'm looking at the properties and I have no idea what most of them do. Worse yet, the ones I do want to change, like scale, I have no idea how to. I've looked at many Youtube vids and only found one that gave me an idea how to change some properties via code.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get a good reference for this C # Form programming that will explain the properties and perhaps even the events they are capable of ? Like the old Language Reference and Programmer's Guide books that came with VB ???

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi  CMoher3,

>>My question is, does anyone know where I can get a good reference for this C # Form programming that will explain the properties and perhaps even the events they are capable of ? Like the old Language Reference and Programmer's Guide books that came with VB ???

The following tutorial is about Microsoft Chart Controls, you can refer it.

Chart Control in Windows Forms Application:
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/1e050f/chart-control-in-windows-form-application/

Chart Class: Serves as the root class of the Chart control.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.datavisualization.charting.chart(v=vs.110).aspx

If you want to know more about each chart control, I suggest you can refer to some professional books. This will give you a great help.

Here's an example:

Practical C#: Charts and Graphics : Advanced Chart and Graphics Programming for Real-world .NET Applications

The book "Practical C# Charts and Graphics - Advanced Chart and Graphics Programming for Real-World .NET Applications" privides all the tools you need to create professional C# chart and graphics applications For .NET developers, creating professional charts and graphics in your C# applications is now easier than ever before. Practical C# Charts and Graphics is the perfect guide to learning all the basics for creating your advanced chart and graphics applications in C#. The book clearly explains practical chart and graphics methods and their underlying algorithms. The book contains: - Overview of GDI+ graphics capabilities and mathematical basics of computer charting and graphics - Step-by-step procedures to create a variety of 2D and 3D charts and graphics with complete ready-to-run C# code for each application - Powerful 2D and 3D chart packages and user controls that can be directly used in your C# applications or can be easily modified to create your own sophisticated chart and graphics packages. - Detailed procedures to create C# spreadsheet-like chart and graphics applications - Introductions for how to use Microsoft's Excel charts in your C# applications

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Hey thanks Yohann !!
    • Marked as answer by CMoher3 Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:30 PM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:06 PM
  • That's a very old title, according to my research. It goes back to 2007. Are you sure the more recent , 2016 edition 

Practical .Net Chart Development and Applications

wouldn't be better ? Rather pricey for this peasant too. Whatever happened to the Microsoft books that always came with programming packages ?

Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:30 PM

• Hi CMoher3,

I'm not sure. But, I found a Third-party open source control:  LiveCharts

LiveCharts: Simple, flexible, interactive & powerful data visualization for .Net

LiveCharts Provides source code, tutorials and related examples, you can refer it.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:06 AM