none
How to auto load Microsoft MTP Native driver RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MTP device  running linux and implemented MTP protocol

Right now when device is connected to PC via usb, it fails to upload a driver, so I manually open Device Manager and tell Windows to load MTP USB Driver and it works, I can copy files between PC and device.

How do I tell Windows 7, 81. 10 to auto load the MTP native driver when the device is connected to PC via USB, without manual intervention?

Please help me out

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 11:42 PM

All replies

• Which driver gets installed when you do NOT install the MTP driver manually? Is this a multi-function device?

• Edited by Pavel A Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Yes it a multi-function device but only with mtp function enabled using configfs.

No driver is installed at all when connecting to PC, (Ubuntu recognized the device and show files explorer UI). The device has an exclamation mark under Other in Device Manager.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Does your device conform to the multi-function requirements of Windows?  See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542743(v=vs.85).aspx   I've encountered a lot of devices that were first tested on Linux which has easier rules, and then the developers find that either the HW has to change, or else a lot of driver work to make them comply with Windows.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Saturday, February 27, 2016 2:41 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks, for the link, so it seems I still need to provide an inf file for using MS Native driver (mtp), did I read it correctly?

My tests support that case, because if I just change the idVendor and idProduct values to match to an existing device on an inf file in my system it works. I was expecting some magic from MS just by defining (via configfs) that my device is MTP compatible, but Windows does not know what driver to load.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:07 PM
  • IIRC you can implement Microsoft-specific descriptor and define there the MTP function. Then Windows would detect it automagically. 

Microsoft OS Descriptors for USB Devices

Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Hi David,

How did you solve this Windows usb driver autoload problem?

I encounter the same issue with ConfigFS based MTP multi-function gadget.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:56 AM