Setting Up a Visual Studio - SQL Server Desktop Test Environment RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7.

We are preparing to introduce some of our folks to designing reports in SQL Server Reporting Service (SSrS).  I want to do some preliminary testing on my laptop.  I believe we should use Visual Studio (free version), the Business Intelligence tools for VS,  and a local instance of SQL Server.  I want to be able to install a sample database in the local instance of SQL Server and be able to look at the sample database's table structure.  Here are my questions:

1. To set up a local test environment, should I use VS, Business Intelligence tools for VS, and a local instance of SQL Server?  Or is there some other set of tools I should use?
    2. What version of VS should I use (I saw VS Community 2015 RC is available)?
    3. Where might I get a robust sample database from which I can create SSrS Reports to test?
    4. What tool can I use to look at a local instance of SQL Server?  These "express" versions don't seem to come with SQL Server Management Studio.

Thank you for any help or guidance you can give in this regard.

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'll try to answer, to the best of my knowledge

AFAIK, you need a version of Visual Studio 2015 that supports the Business Intelligence project templates. I believe that Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition does support that, judging from this page, but be mindful that you cannot be part of an organization that has income > 1,000,000 (in other words, check the licensing for this product).

Since SSDT is integrated into Visual Studio, you don't have to have the separate SQL Server Management Studio. Also, SQL Server Express with Advanced Services supports reporting services.

As for databases, Microsoft maintains two databases that you can download and use: NorthWind and pubs.

Hope this helps

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:57 PM
  • I downloaded the NorthWind and pubs samples and they are saved as .sql files AND as .LDF and .MDF files.  How can I import these into my SQL Express instance to use in Visual Studio?
    Monday, June 29, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Hi Doug Pruiett,

This forum is about Visual Studio IDE, as your issue is about how to design reports in SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS), I’m afraid that it is not the VS IDE issue, it would be related to the SSRS, I help you move this case to the SQL Server Reporting Services, Power Viewer forum for dedicated support: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=sqlreportingservices

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:09 AM
  • Hi Doug,

1.To set up a local test environment, should I use VS, Business Intelligence tools for VS, and a local instance of SQL Server?  Or is there some other set of tools I should use?

In Reporting Services, we can use Business Intelligence Development Studio(BIDS) / SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) and Report Builder to design reports.

Reference:
    Reporting Services Tools

2.What version of VS should I use (I saw VS Community 2015 RC is available)?

In your scenario, if you have installed SQL Server 2014 in your environment, you could download SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013 or SQL Server® 2014 Report Builder to design reports.

3.Where might I get a robust sample database from which I can create SSrS Reports to test?

You could download Adventure Works 2014 Sample Databases from this site: Adventure Works 2014 Sample Databases.

Reference:
    SQL Server Reporting Services Product Samples

4.What tool can I use to look at a local instance of SQL Server?  These "express" versions don't seem to come with SQL Server Management Studio.

You should install Express with Advanced Services, it contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services. You can download it from this site: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014 Express.

5. How can I import these into my SQL Express instance to use in Visual Studio?

Please take a look at articles below:
    How to: Install Sample Databases
    HowTo: Install the Northwind and Pubs Sample Databases

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:53 AM