none
Entity Framework Model Designer (EF5) Error : value cannot be null parameter name : font

Question

• Hi,

I have a SL project with WCF/EF5. When I expand my database (adding tables, columns and foreign key constrains), read it back to the EF model (Update from database) all looks Ok.

Until I try to edit the navigation properties. Then it gives the message 'Error : value cannot be null parameter name : font'.

My environment is:

Windows 7 x64/8 GB RAM

Visual Studio 2012 Premium

MS-SQL Server 2012

All with latest updates installed

Can anyone help me with this? I saw the issue reported in Microsoft Connect as well but it seems there is no feedback available there...

This is a real issue to me since I cannot build my project (EF/WCF is the heart of all database access ;) ) so everything stops there.

The entire project can be paused for a few days but I need to get back on it as soon as possible..

I tried to rebuild the entire model (basically dropping the edmx and restart from the database) but that didn't help either.

So this is a real project stopper for me, please advice on how I can get this fixed..

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:31 PM

Answers

• Lo an behold!

I found a solution to this issue!

Repairing the Entity Framework Designer for Visual Studio 2012 - enu from the Control Panel did the trick!

I hope this helps other people as well!

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Albert,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Could you please let me know how you edit the navigation properties?

Good day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Basically you open the model and click on the navigation property you want to change (so you can select the properties) but at this point the messagebox appears (Error : value cannot be null parameter name : font) and the view of the model is replaced by a large red cross.

Note that column (thus non-navigation) properties/name can be changed without a problem...

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen

Albert van Peppen

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Lo an behold!

I found a solution to this issue!

Repairing the Entity Framework Designer for Visual Studio 2012 - enu from the Control Panel did the trick!

I hope this helps other people as well!

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi Albert,

Glad know your problem resolved. Thank you for sharing.

Have a nice day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Hi Albert,

Just realized that issue is related to this: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/9ab02f4f-344e-42cf-94bc-cdf82e2fba2f/

"In Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs), right click the Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0 Optional Update 1 program and select change. Remove the VisualStudio2010 integration. 
    Then, install the EnterpriseLibrary Configuration extension from Microsoft via the Extension Manager in VS2010. This will allow you to launch the configuration editor from VS2010, but will not be installed for SSMS."

It works for me. Hope will help you.- Vladimir

Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:20 PM