Switching From Metro UI Start to Normal Start Menu

General discussion

• MetroController allows to disable some or even all Metro features in Windows 8 so you can have the normal win7 start menu.

It will come up saying you have to restart the computer but you don't,click no then just logo off and log on again.

More info here http://viewtyfulthemesforum.zapto.org/index.php?topic=294.0

Hope this helps

Edit: I think there should be a option for this on windows 8 anyway..what do you think..??

• Edited by spannernick Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:23 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• While this might sound "great" - it defeats the point of treating this OS as it is meant to be. This is a DEVELOPER PREVIEW. I strongly suggest that no one actually does this as it isn't sanctioned by Microsoft nor do we know truly what the side effects are on other processes.

Personal Opinion: I hope they do not give the option to disable Metro - I do not have a touchscreen device and yet I love it as a keyboard / mouse user.

=-Chris

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Personal Opinion: I hope they do not give the option to disable Metro - I do not have a touchscreen device and yet I love it as a keyboard / mouse user.

Why not? Isn't choice a good thing for everyone? If you like Metro, keep it, if not, disable it.

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Personal Opinion: I hope they do not give the option to disable Metro - I do not have a touchscreen device and yet I love it as a keyboard / mouse user.

Why not? Isn't choice a good thing for everyone? If you like Metro, keep it, if not, disable it.

Yes that's what i think too,I found using metro Start it use at first and I found it hard it find all my programs on it so it was nice to go back to the old start menu with juct a click..:D

We all should have options and that's in live too..

This Little program don't crash or stop your PC from working,it works fine on mine and don't mess with other processes.(Im a PC Engineer)

Spanner..

• Edited by spannernick Friday, October 14, 2011 3:10 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Chris,

"Personal Opinion: I hope they do not give the option to disable Metro - I do not have a touchscreen device and yet I love it as a keyboard / mouse user."

So let me get this straight - because you personally like Metro, you hope that Microsoft denies the choice to everyone who doesn't?

Moderator | MCTS .NET 2.0 Web Applications | My Blog: http://www.commongenius.com
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:17 PM
  • I seriously dislike the Metro when I am using a keyboard and a mouse. I seriously hate having icons on my desktop.  I seriously hate having huge tiles for my "start menu" (even though I am using the small ones).  But this is just my opinion.  I have no issues with the well orded program menu that is in Windows 7 and can easily find everything I want.  I cannot say that with the Metro menu. 

There clearly needs to be multiple versions of Windows 8.  It would be best if it was all on the same DVD and the user could decide what they want.  Like I said, I almost like Metro when I am using my laptop as a tablet.  It blows i-Pad, and Android out of the water.  I cannot wait to see this on my moble phone. But it really is less than friendly in a business environment and having a 100 tile Metro Start menu is just plain stupid and the existing tiles are 10 times larger than they need to be.  And yes, I do have 100 titles in my Windows 7 start menu.  It might not be so bad if I could group several applications under one tile.  That would get the menu down to a workable size.

I know there are several more releases before this will go live.  I hope I see a bit more Windows 7 or at least place a statement saying that the final Beta have them.  I also know it doesn't do Microsoft any good to have us testing Windows 7.5.

Friday, October 14, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:40 PM