How to set breakpoint in C++ DLL

Question

• My C#/XAML solution contains a C++/DX project (DLL). The C++/DX code is running ok, but I can't debug it. If I set a breakpoint in the C++ code it turns white when the app is running, and moving the mouse over the breakpoint displays "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

The solution configuration is set to "Debug". Setting a breakpoint in the C# code works fine. I assume the debugger doesn't know how to follow the execution path into the DLL. I tried fiddling with some of the linker/debug settings in the C++/DX project's Properties panel, but no luck.

I also tried setting the C# project's "Debugger Type" from "Managed" to "Mixed". But when I ran the app it immediately threw a System.Runtime.InteropSvervices.SEHException.

Does anyone know what I'm missing to enable breakpoints in the C++ code?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:08 AM

Answers

• As we discussed in your other thread, you should be able to set breakpoints in the C++ DLL when debugging in mixed mode.

I'm not sure what the SEHException was, but I'm glad you're not getting it anymore. If you do, try to get a stack trace (or better: a dump) and post a new thread if you need help tracking it down.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, September 3, 2012 7:13 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:26 AM
    Owner