does it use space when migrate? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I currently built databases on SQL SERVER 2008 R2. I use SSMA to migrate data from Oracle to SQL Server. It runs very well. My question is when I run SSMA, I found that my c: drive ‘s space is decreasing from 21 G free to 10G free.

I am not sure if SSMA will use some space on the drive where it was installed (for my case is C drive) when it runs a task.  Because my c drive is not big , I have to leave more than 15G free for the performance. Please let me know if the issue is related with SSMA. If yes, maybe I can reinstall SSMA on other drives. Thanks a lot!

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:50 PM

Answers

• It will use some space as it has to store project information but 10G seems excessive. Look in your project settings to see where the folder resides (default is users\<username>\documents\ssmaprojects)

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, April 9, 2012 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:53 PM

All replies

• Is it system page file placed on C: drive?

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:45 PM
  • thank you for your reply!

the system page file should be on d: drive. also i found that when i run ssma, the files of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server expand from 2G to 10G, when i restart the server and checked again, it is 2G again. i am not sure if run ssma will use sql server tempdb something like that.

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I think so but not yet sure.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Hi David,

Do you connect to any database when the space is increased? I have test that in my server, when I open SSMA for oracle, the space not increased, but I don’t have Oracle database to connect.

Suggest you to find what file have been created in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server when the space increased and post it, it will helpful for us to troubleshoot this issue.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:33 AM
  • It will use some space as it has to store project information but 10G seems excessive. Look in your project settings to see where the folder resides (default is users\<username>\documents\ssmaprojects)

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, April 9, 2012 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:53 PM