Signalling .NET app when DB updates occur. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This may not be the forum for this so please let me know if not.

I am pulling my hair out over a peformance issue.  I have a great need to limit the CPU perf hit of multiple .NET worker threads (Outside of threadpool) that are checking a SQL DB for changes.  I have a seperate application that is making updates to the DB.  I have another app that needs to be notified of these updates when they occur.  As they are seperate processes I cannot use thread synchronisation such as AutoRestEvents to help.

To the point, does anyone know if SQL notification services can help with this one?  Does the API allow me to make a thread sit in a wait-state until notification of an update?  I know this is a long shot, but I don't know how heavy polling the DB will be on the CPU and I'm worried it'll be too much.

Any advice would be appreciated

TIA

NozFx

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:11 PM

Answers

• SSNS can likely be used in this situation if you are willing to develop your own custom components. You can also investigate using Query Notifications, too.

HTH...

Joe

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:54 PM

All replies

• SSNS can likely be used in this situation if you are willing to develop your own custom components. You can also investigate using Query Notifications, too.

HTH...

Joe

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:54 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

I will look into these technologies further.  I think I can do what I need with triggers firing managed code but I just wondered what notifications offered over and above this.

Regards

NozFx

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 1:23 PM