none
Exchange 2010 in Microsoft SBS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope someone can help. I have a windows sbs 2011 server with exchange 2010 running on it. Anyway about two weeks ago we had a large number of power cuts and as a result the maibox store was in dirty shutdown. I tried to carry out a soft recovery and that failed. I then had to resort to carrying out a hard recovery which allowed me to get it up and running. At this point I had my employers breathing down my neck for the email to be back on and which I had to switch back on.  Its now been a week since that happenend. I believe we have some corruption in the database. I tried to run an offline defrag and that failed as it through an error "Operation terminated with error -1605 (JET_errKeyDuplicate, Illegal duplicate key) after xxx.xxx seconds.  I then tried to run
    New-MailboxRepairRequest command with the 4 parameters and it has seemed to work on some mailboxes but not all of them. I get the following error "Online integrity check for request d16575e9-f0b5-4925-8654-d3f488123f2a failed with error 1174". Users are experienicing a number of problems including not being able to reply to certain emails, views missing, not able to edit tasks etc. Can anyone help? thanks in advance

Sunday, December 7, 2014 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Based on knowledge i have given the below mentioned points.

1.If the production database is in the dirty shutdown state.Please check the required logs and then try to replay those logs via soft recovery by using the eseutil tool with /R parameter.

2.If you don't have the required logs then to do  a hard repair by using eseutil tool with /p parameter.

If None of the above steps helped you.Please follow the below steps.

Dialtone Database : 

just try to have a dial tone database (i.e empty database) in your exchange server to make the end user for sending and receiving new mails.

Just assume your corrupted database path and it's log files is like below.

Database path : E:\MDB1\MDB1.edb

Log file path    : L:\logs

Already database is in the dismounted state.So please cut and copy the dismounted database file and its respective logs to a new location.Then try to mount the database via ecp or exchange management shell then it will create a empty edb database file and fresh logs and that is called as dialtone database.

Because of that action, end user can make use of the empty database file to send and receive new emails.

Recovery database : 

Now it is the time to recover the old emails from the backup.

1.First we need to restore the database file and its log files to a separate location.

2.Make sure the restored edb file is in clean shutdown state by using the eseutil tool with the parameter eseutil/mh .

3.If it in the dirty please replay the required logs files by using eseutil tool with the parameter eseutil /R .

4.Once it is come to clean shutdown state ,then we can create the recovery database by mapping the restored database file with the main parameters (-recovery & allowfilerestore:$true )

5.Then mount the recovery database.

Bulk mailbox restore from recovery database to production DB for restoring the old emails:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979810(v=exchg.150).aspx

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:52 AM
  • It was in dirty shutdown mode and I did try a soft repair and it failed. I ended up doing a hard repair.  I then tried to run New-MailboxRepairRequest command with the 4 parameters and it has seemed to work on some mailboxes but not all of them. I get the following error "Online integrity check for request d16575e9-f0b5-4925-8654-d3f488123f2a failed with error 1174". Users are experienicing a number of problems including not being able to reply to certain emails, views missing, not able to edit tasks etc. Can anyone help? thanks in advance
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:02 PM