Access 2007 VERY SLOW RRS feed

• Question

• Since converting to Office 2007 from 2003, Access 2007 is very slow. It is slow to open/update forms and open/update reports. Have installed Office 2007 SP2 with NO improvments.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

• DGGravel wrote:

Since converting to Office 2007 from 2003, Access 2007 is very slow. It
    is slow to open/update forms and open/update reports. Have installed
    Office 2007 SP2 with NO improvments.

2007 is on SP3: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27838

Nevertheless, complicated forms created in earlier versions can sometimes
    be faster, if re-created in 2007 or 2010. Have you tried that? You can
    copy/paste the code behind form, but you should manually create the
    controls.

Peter Doering [MVP Access]

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, February 3, 2012 2:21 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:00 PM
  • The same thing happened to me a few years ago, when I upgraded to Access 2007.  I wish I could tell you what happened in my specific scenario, but I really don't know.  It was EXTREMELY slow at first, but after a few days, got faster and faster, and within a week or so, it worked perfectly normal (even faster than Access 2003).  Make sure all your Office critical updates are up-to-date.  Also, make sure all your Windows critical updates are up-to-date.  Get ALL updates and just 'bite the bullet', for now.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:36 PM

All replies

• DGGravel wrote:

Since converting to Office 2007 from 2003, Access 2007 is very slow. It
    is slow to open/update forms and open/update reports. Have installed
    Office 2007 SP2 with NO improvments.

2007 is on SP3: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27838

Nevertheless, complicated forms created in earlier versions can sometimes
    be faster, if re-created in 2007 or 2010. Have you tried that? You can
    copy/paste the code behind form, but you should manually create the
    controls.

Peter Doering [MVP Access]

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:00 PM
  • The same thing happened to me a few years ago, when I upgraded to Access 2007.  I wish I could tell you what happened in my specific scenario, but I really don't know.  It was EXTREMELY slow at first, but after a few days, got faster and faster, and within a week or so, it worked perfectly normal (even faster than Access 2003).  Make sure all your Office critical updates are up-to-date.  Also, make sure all your Windows critical updates are up-to-date.  Get ALL updates and just 'bite the bullet', for now.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Has anyone been able to figure this out? The slowness thing started hitting my application about 2 days ago. Prior to that it was a little slow initially (linked tables and a SharePoint list). Now however it is unbearably slow. It takes 5 minutes to close or open any form. Even in design view. I ahve searched the web and implemented some suggestions (i.e. compact/repair, set default printer to non network printer, copy objects to new clean DB)./ Even creating a new DB did not help. I wonder if it has to do with linked tables (these are linked to Excel files on SharePoint as well as SharePoint lists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end as I said the project owuld be completed in another 1.5 weeks and now have run into this. 
    • Proposed as answer by KCDW Sunday, August 5, 2012 10:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KCDW Monday, August 6, 2012 5:31 AM
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Open Windows Explorer and look to see what you have there as far as stuff listed in your MY NETWORK PLACES.  Delete all of those and see if it helps.  Sometimes there are unresolved locations which can slow things down as it is checking all of them.  Also make sure you don't have any mapped drives mapped to locations which are unavailable (it will show a red X on them).  If so, delete those too by right clicking on them and selecting DISCONNECT.

Bob Larson, Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:41 PM