Just started with RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Is there some basic guide that explains the whole mechanism of communicating with a Robot?

Where can learn about manifests and all those things?

The Class Reference in MSDN does not give any examples on how to use the different services.

Any tips will be very appreciated.

tb
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:23 PM

Answers

• Torsten
    I think that I lack sufficient understanding on how the Environment for HTTP/FTP is set up and how the messages are managed.
    If you are trying to understand how one manipulates and responds to HTTP type messages within a service I suggest you take a look at the MicrosoftGps example as it implements some browser interactions and may provide you with some insight. I am not overly familiar with web tech so I will be of little help here.

It seems I have to poll the sensors with a Get but I am totally lost on how to use the Get.
    Here is a quick example of a get against the Drive.Proxy contract provided with the MRDS install. There should be quite a few examples of this in the forums.

// The drive operations port could also be created via the partner attribute
    driveOperationsPort = this.ServiceForwarder<T>(serviceInfo.HttpServiceAlias);

Get get = new Drive.Proxy.Get();

driveOperationsPort.Post(get);

yield return
        Arbiter.Choice(get.ResponsePort, state => this.UpdateDriveState(state),
                       fault => fault.ToException().Handle());

Bryan

Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:22 PM

All replies

• Torsten

My suggestion would be to download the express version of MRDS and install it. Then spend some time reading the first few sections of documentation file and follow it up by executing the tutorials.

Its not a short process. I found that reading the sections on the CCR and DSS, and then jumping in and doing all the Service tutorials in order helped me out the most... I actually typed in and built the tutorials from scratch rather than just open the existing Tutorial projects and review them.

Bryan
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Torsten

My suggestion would be to download the express version of MRDS and install it. Then spend some time reading the first few sections of documentation file and follow it up by executing the tutorials.

Its not a short process. I found that reading the sections on the CCR and DSS, and then jumping in and doing all the Service tutorials in order helped me out the most... I actually typed in and built the tutorials from scratch rather than just open the existing Tutorial projects and review them.

Bryan
    Thanks Brian,

I have gone through the tutorials and understand the VPL.  My problems arise when trying to code in VB Express (most examples are in C# which are easily converted to VB thanks to the CLR).  I think that I lack sufficient understanding on how the Environment for HTTP/FTP is set up and how the messages are managed.

I am using NXT Miindstorms for my tests and have succeeded in driving the robot with a simple Windows UI with arrow-butttons (modified Tutorila 4).  My problem is that although I see all the analog sensors in the Web Browser, they are not updating their state (eg showing a penligth to the light sensor) and I cannot subscribe to the analog sensors in the VB code (I have seen in this forum, Trevor, that it is not possible to subscribe to them).  It seems I have to poll the sensors with a Get but I am totally lost on how to use the Get.

Any tips for my enlightment will be mostly appreciated.

Torsten

tb
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Torsten
    I think that I lack sufficient understanding on how the Environment for HTTP/FTP is set up and how the messages are managed.
    If you are trying to understand how one manipulates and responds to HTTP type messages within a service I suggest you take a look at the MicrosoftGps example as it implements some browser interactions and may provide you with some insight. I am not overly familiar with web tech so I will be of little help here.

It seems I have to poll the sensors with a Get but I am totally lost on how to use the Get.
    Here is a quick example of a get against the Drive.Proxy contract provided with the MRDS install. There should be quite a few examples of this in the forums.

// The drive operations port could also be created via the partner attribute
    driveOperationsPort = this.ServiceForwarder<T>(serviceInfo.HttpServiceAlias);

Get get = new Drive.Proxy.Get();

driveOperationsPort.Post(get);

yield return
        Arbiter.Choice(get.ResponsePort, state => this.UpdateDriveState(state),
                       fault => fault.ToException().Handle());

Bryan

Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:22 PM