none
Azure Storage Account in Australia East/Southeast via Resource Group Template

Question

• Hi, there.

I've been playing around with Azure Resource Group Template. I can add the storage account with this other regions, but not in Australia East and Australia Southeast. I can add the storage account on those regions through web portal, but not through the resource group template. The error says:

'The provided location 'australiasoutheast' is not permitted for subscription. List of permitted regions is 'eastasia,southeastasia,eastus,eastus2,westus,northcentralus,southcentralus,centralus,northeurope,westeurope,japaneast,japanwest'. Please contact support to change your supported regions.'

When can I use Australia East and Southeast through the template?

Cheers,

Justin

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:05 AM

Answers

• For the time being, the new Azure Resource Manager (ARM) stack (Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts) does not support Australia East and Southeast (or Brazil South). So you cannot currently create a storage account in these regions via the ARM stack.

The portal is based on the older Azure Service Management (ASM) stack, and these locations are supported via this stack (microsoft.classicstorage/storageAccounts). That's why it's possible to create them via the portal. The same is true with PowerShell, if you are using the Service Management PowerShell cmdlets.

We recommend that users move to the ARM stack if possible, as that will eventually supercede the ASM stack.

Saturday, July 18, 2015 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Justin,

To create services in Australia , you should have the billing address with Australia or the New Zealand as per the document here.

You might have to raise a Free billing support ticket for further details on the same.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Hi, Shirisha.

That doesn't explain why I can't create Azure Storage account through Resource Group Template. If that's the reason, I shouldn't be allowed to create all other resources either.

I can create Azure Storage accounts through either web portal and PowerShell cmdlet. But I can't do it through the template on those particular regions.

Cheers,

Justin

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am researching on this and would get back to you on any findings.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:51 AM
  • Hi Justin,

Are you not able to add the storage account in ARM ( Azure resource manager ) ?

If yes, then In powershell  once you switch the mode to ARM [  Switch-AzureMode AzureResourceManager ] could you check the azure location if Australia East / south east is in the list [ Get-AzureLocation ]

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:56 PM
  • Hi, Shrisha.

When I did the following:

Switch-AzureMode AzureResourceManager

Get-AzureLocation | Where-Object Name -EQ 'Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts' | Format-Table LocationsString -Wrap

It only returns:

LocationsString                                                                                                                                                                               
    ---------------                                                                                                                                                                               
    East US, East US 2, West US, West Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia, Japan East, Japan West, North Central US, South Central US, Central US, North Europe

As far as I know, ARM uses Microsoft.Storage/storageAccount type. But, when I switched azure mode to AzureServiceManagement, it uses Microsoft.ClassicStorage/storageAccount type. That allows to add storage account into both Australia Southeast and Australia East region.

This is the difference between ARM mode and Azure Service Management mode. ARM mode should add both locations to get this done.

Cheers,

Justin

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking on this with experts. Request your patience while we get any information from them.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:24 PM
  • For the time being, the new Azure Resource Manager (ARM) stack (Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts) does not support Australia East and Southeast (or Brazil South). So you cannot currently create a storage account in these regions via the ARM stack.

The portal is based on the older Azure Service Management (ASM) stack, and these locations are supported via this stack (microsoft.classicstorage/storageAccounts). That's why it's possible to create them via the portal. The same is true with PowerShell, if you are using the Service Management PowerShell cmdlets.

We recommend that users move to the ARM stack if possible, as that will eventually supercede the ASM stack.

Saturday, July 18, 2015 1:47 AM
  • Hi Tamra,

Thank you for the updated information.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Saturday, July 18, 2015 7:42 AM