Git for VS 2017 connect to team project w/ repos on TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MSDN, and thanks for rolling out VS 2017. I'm excited to use the latest and greatest!

I've been using Git for VS 2015 for some time now working on repos on our server. I would connect to a team project with many repos, and in the Team Explorer I could find those repos under the project node, where I could clone and work on each one as needed.

Now, when I connect to that project, it looks as though Git for VS considers the project itself a repo, and wants me to clone it. Any known issue logged for this? Am I doing it wrong.

The steps I followed, w/I Team Explorer:

1. Manage Connections (green plug icon @ top)
    2. Manage Connections dropdown
    3. Connect to Project
    4. navigate to and click the appropriate project w/I the tree; note I can see each of the repos as a node under this project in the Connect to a Project dialog
    5. click connect

Now I see the project as a node under the correct TFS server, but while in VS 2015 I could open that node to see the repos within, Git for VS seems to want to connect to that node as though it were a repo itself.

I apologize if this is the wrong category, if so please direct me to the correct one.

v/r
    John

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Thank you for posting here.

Can not exactly get you. Could you please share the screenshot for the issues?

We can also connect to a team project with many repos in VS 2007, just Clone to different path for different repository, then work on each one as needed, please see below screenshot, two repos there.

For the first time you connect to team project, VS (Team Explorer) will prompt to clone the repository, then you just need to select ‘Connect’ next time.

It works same as VS 2015. Just connection ways are different between VS 2015 and VS 2017 (Team Explorer)

Please correct me if any misunderstanding.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for posting here.

Does the workaround resolve your issue?

Best Regards.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:46 PM
  • I am having this issue. We have a TFS project that was created prior to Team Server 2015. In VS 2015 it is able to recognize both TF Version Control and Git projects.

However in VS 2017 it doesn't seem to recognize that there are Git repos in our Project. For example, the icons in the Connection tool show the mixed repo types in our project that was created post Team Server 2015 but not the project created prior to TS 2015... even though it has Git repos too. 

The end result is that anytime I try to connect to a repo in VS 2017 in this particular project it Team Explorer reverts to TFS mode. If I open a Git solution from a repo in this project Team Explorer goes into OFFLINE Git mode.

As of now we cannot use VS 2017 because of this issue.

I have screen caps of all this but cannot attach apparently.

My guess is that the older project is missing something causing VS 2017 to not recognize the Git repos attached to it. But I checked the permissions per this link and they are good: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/git/team-projects
    • Edited by BryceAtGM Friday, March 24, 2017 10:21 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 10:17 PM