Change password for CLIUSR account. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2 with MS SQL Server 2012. This system has account and password tracking requirements for all local accounts. Regarding the account created upon instancing a multi-node cluster, CLIUSR, how would I safely change the password for that account, to ensure that it never exceeds a required maximum age threshold (180 days)?

Thank you

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi nath034,

From your description, it seems that you want to change the password for Cluster Name Object (CNO). If that is the case, you need to do a repair from Failover Cluster Manager to reset the password, and it will not break cluster service. For more details, please review the Common Problem 4 part in this blog.

In addition, as the issue is more related to Windows Server high availability , I recommend you post the question in the  Windows Server High Availability (Clustering)  forum. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 22, 2015 7:57 AM

All replies

• 1) Once you change password , will lock account to another cluster instance.

2) new account for some time for all cluster services.

3) changes password to all cluster 

4) check that account password is changes properly.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:38 AM
  • Hi nath034,

You can perform the steps in the following similar blog to make periodic password change on Windows cluster service account password and SQL Server Service account password of a multi-node cluster environment.

Best practices of Password Change on SQL Failover cluster (Applicable n+1 nodes cluster)
    http://www.sqldbops.com/2009/09/best-practices-of-password-change-on.html

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Lydia Zhang

Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Lydia,

Thank you for your reply. In the article you referred me to, it mentions using services.msc directly to change the password for the account running Cluster Service - which did seem like what I was looking for; however, on my server when I examine Cluster Service and look at the Log On tab, it shows "Log on as: Local System account." What, then, is actually using this CLIUSR account, as this doesn't seem to be it?

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Hi Dinesh,

Thank you for your reply. But how do I go about changing the password? Directly within the "User Accounts" by selecting "Reset Password" for CLIUSR on each node of the cluster?

Thanks

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:15 PM
  • Nath034 ,

Check with server team or person who can able change password.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 2:22 PM
  • I am the administrator of the server and can change the password, I'm just curious about what procedure to use to when changing the password for the CLIUSR user account that will avoid interrupting or breaking the cluster fail over service for the database.

Thanks

Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Hi nath034,

From your description, it seems that you want to change the password for Cluster Name Object (CNO). If that is the case, you need to do a repair from Failover Cluster Manager to reset the password, and it will not break cluster service. For more details, please review the Common Problem 4 part in this blog.

In addition, as the issue is more related to Windows Server high availability , I recommend you post the question in the  Windows Server High Availability (Clustering)  forum. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Lydia Zhang

Friday, May 22, 2015 7:57 AM