none
Can only get one backup job to run then fails with preparing storage and job could not be started as another job was in progress RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to get Azure backup to run more than once on a 2016 Server Standard. 

I'm running MARS 2.0.9169.0. I can't find any newer agents. 

After the first backup runs successfully, the next backup then hangs at "Preparing storage." If I reboot the server, it then complains, "Job could not be started as another job was in progress."

I try to stop the job from the MARS agent and after the dialog sits for quite some time it disappears but it still complains that a backup is running when I try to start the backup. 

I tried to stop the backup via powershell, running as administrator, using the command: Stop-OBJob -Job $job

It then complains:

Stop-OBJob : The Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent cannot connect to the OBEngine service. Verify that the
    OBEngine service is present in the Services Control Panel and that the port 6049 is available.
    At line:1 char:1

+ Stop-OBJob -Job $job
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Stop-OBJob], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannonConnectToCBEngine,Microsoft.Internal.CloudBackup.Commands.StopCBJobCommand

When I try to start the OBEngine service I get:

net start obengine
    The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Any suggestions as to what to do to resolve this and get a continuous backup running? 

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:18 PM

All replies

• Suggest you to upgrade the MARS agent to the latest version (2.0.9170.0) and let me know if problem persist. The new version is available for download from here.

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:44 AM
  • This is the THIRD time now that I have upgraded? Does Microsoft release a new version on an hourly basis just so that you can say, "download the latest and try that." Why am I getting a down rev version each time I try to download and install MARS? 

When trying to run the upgrade it hangs with Please Wait.... for the "Upgrade Progress." This is also what I have experienced. It won't install unless right after a reboot. IOW, once MARS is hung with "a job is already in progress" the ONLY way it seems to clear is with a reboot of the server which is a very painful and long process. 

I've tried to install the mars agent and now I'm getting a fatal error when I try to launch the MARS agent. 

A fatal error occurred during Microsoft Azure Backup SnapIn operation.

Error details: System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed. 

Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:28 PM
  • When upgrading the MARS agent ensure no backup jobs are running. Once the agent is updated, manually run a backup job, it should run successfully. Post this, monitor if scheduled backup jobs run as per schedule and complete successfully. Follow the instructions from this link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4020490/the-microsoft-azure-recovery-services-agent-update-failed-error-when-y if upgrade fails.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:25 AM
  • After rebooting I was able to get the latest version of MARS installed, again. Ran one backup fine but now fails again. First it complained, "The Microsoft Recovery Services Agent cannot connect to the OBEngine service". When I tried to restart the OBengine it now complains: System error 1067 has occurred. 

So once again, it worked once but won't work again. I'm now running 2.0.9170.0 of the MARS agent. 

I'll have to do another reboot but I can't do that until Thursday. 

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:07 PM
  • Sorry to hear that. This issue warrants further investigation and deep dive technically. Please reach out to Azure technical support team by creating a support request. Let me know if you need any help/blocked by any limitations to raise a support ticket.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:03 PM
  • Just an update on your issue. This is not an issue with MARS agent, this is a known bug in the windows platform.

To workaround this issue, you need to change the settings in the task schedule for Online Backups. See the snippet below.

Friday, November 29, 2019 10:19 AM
  • Hello rnrstar, Sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you recently had with Azure Backup service.

Reaching out to see if Sadiqh's response above resolved your issue. In addition, would appreciate if you can reach out to us via AzCommunity@microsoft.com so we can thoroughly review your case, get your feedback on how we can improve your forum experience and more importantly, your experience with the Azure Backup service.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Femsulu

Saturday, November 30, 2019 3:49 AM