Metro style device app for Software Driver

Question

• Under the WDK documentation, in the section titled "Developing, Testing and Deploying Drivers", there's mention of how to create a software driver (driver not associated with a device) in Visual Studio, but there's no mention of if it's possible to write a Metro style device application against it.

Is this going to be supported? And if so, what does the deployment model look like? Will you be able to go to the Windows Store and get the package (driver+app)?

Thanks in advance,

-Andre

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:58 PM

Answers

• Eric,

I actually attended this session at //build/!

A lot of what came out of the sessions, including "Ask The Experts," was around the idea that nothing was solidified... That Microsoft was looking at the conference as a way to find out what works and doesn't work with its developers (and customers).

The answers that I've received so far imply that what I'm interested in doing is an unusual circumstance and that it will not inspire confidence from users which download applications from the Windows Store. Given the direction to push WinRT into an agnostic space, I believe that this is correct.

And!, by the way!, I'm fine with the answer. The challenge is convincing my superiors that I'm coming to the right conclusions (with, according to Microsoft, limited telemetry data).

As much as I'd like a different answer (based on job security), I'm content with informing people that the ship has sailed in a different direction. I just wished it would be attributed to someone other than myself. //

-Andre

• Marked as answer by subsistence Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Andre,

I'm looking into this. 

thanks

Frank

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Metro style apps out of the box support a specific set of device interface contracts (like WPD, storage, etc), it does not support the ability to talk to any custom device interface you create.  You can write your own low level C++ DLL that projects an ABI into your metro style app to communicate with your device, not sure on how much documentation for that there is right now.  As for the store, I don't think your package can include the driver.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:52 PM
  • As far as the Windows Store portion of the answer, I can believe that.

But Doron's answer doesn't address my question. I agree, there's no way to make this work today.

Specifically, I'm asking which types of "devices" (implemented via device function, filter or software drivers), virtual or otherwise, will be supported in the "Metro styled device apps" scenario, or if this has or is being considered, and if so, what the deployment model looks like. And if it's not being considered, I'd probably ask that it be considered.

There's lots of code can only run inside the kernel space which might be suitable for a Metro style application - for example, thermal control monitoring and control via ACPI.

The standard answer I've received is, "is what you're building really a Metro style application?" We're trying to determine if it makes sense to reimagine such applications as Metro style apps but it's quite difficult to perform such an exercise if we don't know the limits of which specific sections of the driver model work with Metro styled applications. 

-Andre

• Edited by subsistence Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Andre,

You might find this helpful:

http://www.buildwindows.com/Sessions?q=747&x=0&y=0

Best Wishes - Eric

• Marked as answer by subsistence Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by subsistence Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:28 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:16 AM
  • Eric,

I actually attended this session at //build/!

A lot of what came out of the sessions, including "Ask The Experts," was around the idea that nothing was solidified... That Microsoft was looking at the conference as a way to find out what works and doesn't work with its developers (and customers).

The answers that I've received so far imply that what I'm interested in doing is an unusual circumstance and that it will not inspire confidence from users which download applications from the Windows Store. Given the direction to push WinRT into an agnostic space, I believe that this is correct.

And!, by the way!, I'm fine with the answer. The challenge is convincing my superiors that I'm coming to the right conclusions (with, according to Microsoft, limited telemetry data).

As much as I'd like a different answer (based on job security), I'm content with informing people that the ship has sailed in a different direction. I just wished it would be attributed to someone other than myself. //

-Andre

• Marked as answer by subsistence Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:39 AM
  • The metadata for chipset devices are bound to the PC and thus controlled by the OEM.  Metro style Device Apps can access chipset devices only if access permission is granted by the OEM in the PC metadata. 

Friday, March 9, 2012 3:24 AM