Curiosity on configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Just completed my first installation of the latest POC.  Trying to figure out some things.

The prerequisites ask for 4 disks of at least 140 to 250 GB.  I had 8 'spare' disks on my system and it went out and used all of them.  Is the only way to ensure that only four are used is to write something to the disks you do not want used?  Before installation I had selected each of my eight disks with diskpart and 'clean'ed them.  Then I went back into disk manager and brought online just the four disks I wanted to use, leaving the other four offline.  But when the installation completes, all eight disks are used for the storage pool.

In looking through the configurations of the various VMs, I see that ACSVM, NATVM, NCVM, SQLVM, and xRPVM all have the DataImage.vhdx mounted when installation is complete.  In fact, SQLVM has two of them mounted.  What is the reason for this?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, March 4, 2016 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

Regarding how to exclude the other 4 disks, could you disable them in the BIOS or via Device Manager?

Saturday, March 5, 2016 2:53 AM
  • what i do is, bring online the disks i dont want Azure Stack to be use, then format it as a volume. 

The AzureStack POC Deployment / Fabric installer only uses disks that CanPool properties is true, which mean those under primordial storage pool.

i might not be right. 

Saturday, March 5, 2016 1:38 PM
  • "what i do is, bring online the disks i dont want Azure Stack to be use, then format it as a volume. "

Yeah, that's what I was beginning to think.  I would expect that the installation instructions should have been more specific.  They say you need four disks.  They do not say at least four and that it will use anything else it finds that it can use.

Any ideas on the 'strange' use of the DataImage.vhdx file?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, March 7, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Hi Tim,

We regret the inconvenience caused.
    We would update our documentation to state the customers should have at least 4 disks and we’ll use them to form the pool.

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:19 AM