New to ASP.NET: Core or Regular? RRS feed

• Question

• User199357514 posted

I'm new to ASP.NET development and based on my research it looks like I will need to make a key decision up front:  Go with the regular Windows-only (but more mature) flavor or go with the cross-platform Core (but less mature) version.

For the foreseeable future, I see myself developing only on IIS/Windows Server...so that makes me think go with the regular flavor.  But after checking available tech books, it appears most are focused on the .NET Core version.  So given, I'm new, which dev path would make the most sense?  Which gets more dev/third party support?  Do both paths have a future???

Cheers,

P ---

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:57 PM

All replies

• User-707554951 posted

Hi progers001

There are two supported implementations for building server-side applications with .NET: .NET Framework and .NET Core. Both share many of the same components and you can share code across the two. However, there are fundamental differences between the two and your choice depends on what you want to accomplish. This article provides guidance on when to use each.

Use .NET Core for your server application when:

• You have cross-platform needs.
      • You are targeting microservices.
      • You are using Docker containers.
      • You need high-performance and scalable systems.
      • You need side-by-side .NET versions per application.

Use .NET Framework for your server application when:

• Your app currently uses .NET Framework (recommendation is to extend instead of migrating).
    • Your app uses third-party .NET libraries or NuGet packages not available for .NET Core.
    • Your app uses .NET technologies that aren't available for .NET Core.
    • Your app uses a platform that doesn’t support .NET Core.

More information please refer to the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/choosing-core-framework-server

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/asp-net-or-asp-net-core-what-to-choose/

Best regards

Cathy

Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:20 AM