none
RNDIS with USB 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently working with a Windows Embedded Compact 2013 system that has a USB 3.0 device controller (USB3380), using only the RNDIS function. My host is a Windows 10 laptop with a USB 3.0 host controller.

Whenever I configure the device to declare itself to the host as a USB 2 device (bcdUSB=0x200 in the device descriptor), everything is good: I connect the embedded system to my laptop with a USB 2.0 cable and I see the new RNDIS network adapter.

Whenever I configure the device to declare itself to the host as a USB 3 device (bcdUSB=0x300 in the device descriptor), I see a "Descriptor Validation Failure" trace on my host from Microsoft_Windows_USB_USBHUB3 module, using the MS Message Analyzer tool, when I connect the embedded system to my laptop using a USB 3.0 cable. This is the first error message, but the end result is that the enumeration fails etc.

I saw that the RNDIS host components involved are Rndismpx.sys Usb8023x.sys Netrndis.inf. I would imagine that they should not depend on whether there is a USB 2.0 or 3.0 bus, yet there seems to be a problem, as described. 

My question is: are USB 3.0 RNDIS devices supported by Windows 7/8/10 with these MS-supplied drivers?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 7:35 PM