none
Driverstore folder size RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking to to see why my WES 7 install was so big, i figured it would have been smaller then 11GB so a ran a program to scan all the files and folders and shows you what is taking up all the space and I found that the driverstore folder located in Windows\System32 is taking up 4.8 GB of space almost half of the total size of the install.

is there anyway to delete this folder, or to make it smaller ?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• Did you include all the driver when you created teh Answer file in ICE?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hi Sean,

I'm not sure what you mean, I ran Tap and got my PMQ file and imported into my answer file and also included the drivers in the Out-of-box Drivers folder for the Intel Atom d525 motherboard, which is only about 270mb.

But when i go and install using my answer file, all the drivers I need for the motherboard are there, but the driverstore folder is 4.8GB.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:30 PM
  • 4gb drivers, my normal system has 1gb and wes7 image has i gues about 100mb. (except display drivers).
    can you locate if its spread over many folders or more 1-2 big folders?! ( i pretty much like Tree Size Free for foldersize )
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:17 PM
  • That appears to be quite big compared to the images I have built. I was wonding if you included all the driver packages from the distribution, but that doesn't  apepar to be the case. Is there a specific file that is very large?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:27 PM
  • How do you tell if all the drivers have been added from the distribution share ?

All the drivers are in the DriverStore folder in the FileRepository folder, it just a bunch of folders and in each folder there is a .inf .pnf and .sys file, which in total add up to almost 5GB

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Please Check the Folders more in detail. The tool i mentioned is good to gather more information.
    I have 6xx folders with 1GB files.

This might be one or two very big drivers.

https://www.jam-software.de/customers/downloadTrial.php?article_no=80&language=En

• Edited by KNARZ Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I ran that tool and the biggest is about 120Mb and then there is a quite a few around 50mb in size and then they just keep shrinking in size from there. There is 359 folders and almost 5000 files inside.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I don't think that you need/have about (let me guess.... 4 to 20) Soundcards. Obviously there is way to much HD Audio / Realtek stuff.
    Also some drivers are identical (different Versions). This is typical for using (nearly) identical files with little different Inf file.

Check you DS and Answerfile about Drivers.
    You maybe should select the drivers by hand with an answerfile from ice.

I'm not sure how IBW work with TAP/PMQ. Maybe it just adds/progresses all drivers in OEM Folder.

• Edited by KNARZ Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I should have asked earlier, but are you using IBW or ICE to create/ install the image?

-Sean

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I am using ICE to make my answer file and then installing using my answer file.

I ran Tap and got my PMQ file and imported into my answer file and also included the drivers in the Out-of-box Drivers folder for the motherboard, i don't know how I would have added all these other drivers into my answer file.

I installed using the IBW to test and selected the Application comparability template,  and the Driver store folder was about 200mb. So there must be something in my answer file that causing it to add all these drivers in somehow, but Im not sure where to look to figure that out.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Try removing the out-of-box drivers that were pulled in by PMQ import. Go with just the driver packages that get pulled in and see what the size of the image is.

-Sean

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi Sean,

i deleted everything in the out-of-box drivers folder and installed and the driverstore was about 200mb.

I actually bought your book and have been leaning from that. (great book by the way!)

I followed the steps on your Exercise In Chapter 10 Page 410, which has you getting the drivers and PMQ for a Intel Atom D410 board which i am using a Intel D525 board which is almost exactly the same.

Created the PMQ with Tap imported into my answer file and added all the chipset, video, lan and audio drivers to the out-of-box drivers folder and the answer file just like you showed, then saved my answer file and installed using the IBW disk. But after redoing all those steps the Driverstore folder is about 1.8GB which still seems way too big.

I did notice for the Chipset driver in the IPMx2 folder under the All folder, all those files seem to match up with the folders created the the Driverstore\FileRepository folder. Ive attached  a screenshot.

Im not sure what Im doing wrong.

Thanks

Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:58 PM
  • 1. Is the overall image smaller than the original one you built? You said that it was 11GB. Image sizes are going to be big - 32Bit ~ 1 to 2GB, 64Bit  1.5GB to 4 GB.

2. There are some sample driver packages here: http://www.sjjmicro.com/Prod_Intel_Atom.html

3. The SP1 version of ICE will pull in out-of-box drivers during the PMQ import process. You have to watch out that it didn't pull in out-of-box drivers that came with the distirbution share.

-Sean

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:10 PM