Is DataBinding Possible? + Proper Usage of ADO.NET DS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to multi-tier web application development uing ASP.NET and I'm trying to wrap my head around the ADO.NET Entity Framework and Data Services technologies, and I need some help. Please bear with me.

First, I see that it's possible to use DataBinding on supported objects using EntityDataSourceControl. However, I have not been able to find any information on whether DataBinding can be used in conjunction with ADO.NET Data Services.

My questions are as follows:

1. In proper SOA or n-tier architectures, when attempting to build a site that's more enterprise grade, should you ever be placing your Entity Model within your ASP.NET application (as in this simple example: http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/archive/2008/06/18/tutorial-entity-data-source-control.aspx)?

I assume this would violate your SOA or n-tier architecture, even though the Entity Framework acts as your DAL and creates a abstraction layer between you and the SQL datasource. I would assume that you'd need to create some sort of Web Service / WCF Service that acts as a proxy to access data and your ASP.NET application simply makes the appropriate requests and then binds or manually populates the data in the appropriate controls or UI elements (or does the reverse to update / create / delete data).

This is clearly one reason why ADO.NET DS seems to exist, is it not?

2. Let's say that you do separate your EDM into a separate Web Application that also includes an ADO.NET Data Service that's published on some port. You also have your main web application project that includes the proxy classes generated by DataSvcUtil.exe based off of your exposed Data Service. Now you have your separation of tiers / service oriented design. Can you make use of any type of automatic databinding (to grids, dropdownlists, etc.)?

If not, does that mean you simply should manually fetch data in CRUD manner and then populate your controls manually as well?

Can you use LINQ to do this or do you have to go about it as done in this Silverlight Tutorial: http://mtaulty.com/CommunityServer/blogs/mike_taultys_blog/archive/2008/06/30/10549.aspx

3. Does anyone know of an article for the uses of ADO.NET Entity Framework and Data Services in combination with ASP.NET for a more enterprise minded application so that I may better learn their usage in combination?

I appreciate any and all help in getting educated Smile

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:26 PM