Unable to start my VM. Internal error please try again. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

I'm having trouble starting my VM. The VM isn't new and I have been using it for a month or so. I have tried both via GUI and powershell.

Error message:

PS C:\> Start-AzureVM -ServiceName xxx -Name yyy
    VERBOSE: 09:05:05 - Completed Operation: Get Deployment
    VERBOSE: 09:05:05 - Begin Operation: Start-AzureVM
    Start-AzureVM : InternalError : The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Start-AzureVM -ServiceName xxx -Name yyy
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Start-AzureVM], CloudException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.IaaS.StartAzureVMCommand

VERBOSE: 09:05:37 - Completed Operation: Start-AzureVM

//Robert

• Edited by skyttberg Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Skyttberg;

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. The steps outlined above as the generic steps one follows in these scenarios, the way forward would be to resize the VM to a higher core and cross check if this does not result i would suggest you to  delete the VM retain the disk and then create a new one .

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Shreya Hajela Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by skyttberg Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for posting here.

Please share as where is the Data center located, as there was a Outage in the East US ( and check if it is mitigated.)

I suggest you try these steps first;

1. RESTART : In case if there is a storage timeout, restarting the VM from the management portal might get it work

2. RESIZE: In case if restart does not help, you could temporarily resize the VM core from the portal, as resizing will move it to a different host . Please note that resizing the VM will get you a new NIC and D (temporary Drive)

3.  RECREATE: If the above mentioned steps fail you could start fresh and delete the VM BUT KEEP THE DISK, and create a new VM using the Disk. ( However you could wait for a day before trying this steps as most of the times connectivity is restored.)

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Shreya Hajela.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:00 AM
  • My data center is located in north europe. I have two machines and the other one starts just fine.

Restart the VM isn't an option available. How can I restart a VM that isn't started?

• Edited by skyttberg Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:12 AM
  • This is possible scenario in Azure. Possible but inconvenient, and Microsoft published a blog about the possible causes and remediation.

http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2015/03/19/allocation-failure-and-remediation/

In your case, you will probably need to delete your VM (and keep VM disks) then create a new VM from these disks.

You can follow this link to create a VM from existing VHD (From Step 5)

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-create-upload-vhd-windows-server/

Regards, Samir Farhat Infrastructure and Virtualization Consultant || Virtualization, Cloud, Azure ? Follow and Ask here https://buildwindows.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Hi Skyttberg;

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. The steps outlined above as the generic steps one follows in these scenarios, the way forward would be to resize the VM to a higher core and cross check if this does not result i would suggest you to  delete the VM retain the disk and then create a new one .

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Shreya Hajela Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by skyttberg Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Hi all,

When I resized the VM to a D14 from a D4 I got it to start. Then I could change it back to D4 again and it still works. :)

Thanks for the help.

//Robert

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:05 PM