Windows Authentication from the DMZ RRS feed

• Question

• I think I've tightened the screws down a little too tight on my SQL Express server.

I have a SQL 2008 Express instance on a computer on my internal network.  It a member server in my AD domain.  SQL is installed in Windows Authentication mode.  I have set my own domain user account and a local account as system admins within the SQL instance

I need to access this SQL instance from a computer in my DMZ.  This server is NOT a domain member.

Trying to connect my application on the DMZ server to the SQL server on the intranet, I can't use Windows Authentication because there are no common users between these two computers (perhaps Windows authentication was a mistake?). 

Can I use SQL authentication, but use domain\username as the username?  Or should I back off and change my system to use SQL authentication?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:23 PM

Answers

• If you are able to ping and telnet through SQL port from DMZ server then use SQL authentication to connect to this server. If you feel it's not safe then you can enforce password policy for SQL logins.
    Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:00 PM