none
EF 4.2 Code First - Table relationship not created RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I am using EF4.2/VB.NET/SQL Server Compact 4 and am having difficulty getting two related entity's one-to-many relationship correctly mapped to the database. When using the default convetions the foriegn-key and navigation properties appear in the db, but the foriegn-key is not marked as such and there is no relationsip. If I try and force the matter using the 'ForeignKey' annotation or the fluent api I get the following error...
    'The navigation property 'Associate' is not a declared property on type 'MembershipGroup'. Verify that it has not been explicitly excluded from the model and that it is a valid navigation property.'

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? And if so, how do I fix it? Do I need to make any changes to the entities?
    Associate Class:
    <Table("Associates")>
    Public Class Associate
        Implements IAssociate
        Implements ICommentator

Public Overridable Property ID As Integer Implements IAssociate.Number

Public Overridable Property Address As PostalAddress Implements IAssociate.Address

Public Overridable Property Bank As PaymentMethod Implements IAssociate.Bank

Public Overridable Property Fax As String Implements IAssociate.Fax

Public Overridable Property Name As CompanyName Implements IAssociate.Name

Public Overridable Property Owner As HumanName Implements IAssociate.Owner

Public Overridable Property Telephone As String Implements IAssociate.Telephone

Public Overridable Property Cancelled As Date? Implements IAssociate.Cancelled

Public Overridable Property Registered As Date Implements IAssociate.Registered

Public Overridable Property Email As String Implements IAssociate.Email

Public Overridable Property Charges As AssociateCharges Implements IAssociate.Charges

Public Overridable Property Comments As ICollection(Of Comment) Implements ICommentator.Comments

End Class

Membership Group Class:
    <Table("Groups")>
    Public Class MembershipGroup
        Implements IMembershipGroup

Public Property ID As Integer Implements IMembershipGroup.Number

Public Property Associate As IAssociate Implements IMembershipGroup.Associate

Public Property Members As ICollection(Of IMember) Implements IMembershipGroup.Members

Public Property Instructions As ICollection(Of IPaymentInstruction) Implements IMembershipGroup.Instructions

Public ReadOnly Property Member(membershipNumber As Integer) As IMember Implements IMembershipGroup.Member
            Get
                'some code
            End Get
        End Property

Public ReadOnly Property Instruction(instructionNumber As Integer) As IPaymentInstruction Implements IMembershipGroup.Instruction
            Get
                'some code
            End Get
        End Property

Public ReadOnly Property Instruction(activeFrom As Date, activeUntil As Date) As IPaymentInstruction Implements IMembershipGroup.Instruction

Get
               'some code
            End Get
        End Property

<ForeignKey("Associate")>
        Public Property AssociateID As Integer

End Class

Here is a pic of the database afterwards...

And to add more confusiom, the MembershipGroups entity (above) and the Members entity (below) map perfectly to the db.

<Table("Members")>
    Public Class Member
        Implements IMember
        Implements ICommentator

Public Overridable Property ID As Integer Implements IMember.Number

Public Property Address As PostalAddress Implements IMember.Address

Public Property Born As Date Implements IMember.Born

Public Property Cancelled As Date? Implements IMember.Cancelled

Public Property Email As String Implements IMember.Email

Public Property Home As String Implements IMember.Home

Public Property Loyalty As LoyaltyLevel Implements IMember.Loyalty

Public Property Mobile As String Implements IMember.Mobile

Public Property Name As HumanName Implements IMember.Name

Public Property Registered As Date Implements IMember.Registered

Public Property Scheme As MembershipScheme Implements IMember.Scheme

Public Property Type As SCNType Implements IMember.Type

Public Property Work As String Implements IMember.Work

Public Property MembershipGroupID As Integer

Public Property MembershipGroup As MembershipGroup

Public Property Comments As ICollection(Of Comment) Implements ICommentator.Comments

End Class

ding_jimmy

• Edited by ding_jimmy Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:37 PM

Answers

• ahh okay, so that was the cause. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though. I will ask someone on the team if they know about this. And it's bad news for me since the Code First mapping book just got signed off for printing yesterday. I would love to have at least put a little warning note about this in there. I'll see if we can sneak it in at some point.

Would it work for you to have a concrete type as the related property and an unmapped interface type to expose Associate to your code. You could make the concrete type have a private setter. Just an idea.

Julie Lerman, Author of Programming Entity Framework, MVP
    • Edited by Julie LermanMVP Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:43 PM added 2nd par 30 seconds after entering the initial response
    • Proposed as answer by Alan_chenModerator Friday, November 18, 2011 7:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by ding_jimmy Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:32 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi ding,

@Julie is right! Here is a link, hope it helps: http://antix.co.uk/Blog/EF4-Code-First-and-Interface-Property-Types

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:59 AM

All replies

• As a test, can you change the GroupMemberhip.Associate property to be an Associate type not IAssociate and see if anything changes? I've done a LOT with mapping relationships, especially having just co-authored a book solely on Code First mappings, and the only thing that looks suspicious is the interface. I wonder if that's what's bothering the modeler and if so, if there's a way around it. But I need first to know if that is, indeed, the problem.

FWIW, the AssociateID foreign key follows naming conventions for FK, so adding the configuration (I'm seeing a Data Annotation, not a fluent api config) is not the answer. In fact, becasue of whatever the core problem is, Code FIrst got mad at your for trying to force it to make that a foreign key . :)

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Hi Julie and thank you for the response.

I've tested replacing the 'IAssociate' interface with 'Associate' and it works. This could be a problem.... I don't want to change any of the interfaces if I can avoid it; they are included as part of a shared dll and used heavily in several applications.

Any ideas?

PS: As a weird co-incidence I ordered two of your books yesterday morning.

ding_jimmy
    • Edited by ding_jimmy Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:18 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:17 PM
  • ahh okay, so that was the cause. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though. I will ask someone on the team if they know about this. And it's bad news for me since the Code First mapping book just got signed off for printing yesterday. I would love to have at least put a little warning note about this in there. I'll see if we can sneak it in at some point.

Would it work for you to have a concrete type as the related property and an unmapped interface type to expose Associate to your code. You could make the concrete type have a private setter. Just an idea.

• Edited by Julie LermanMVP Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:43 PM added 2nd par 30 seconds after entering the initial response
    • Proposed as answer by Alan_chenModerator Friday, November 18, 2011 7:57 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi ding,

@Julie is right! Here is a link, hope it helps: http://antix.co.uk/Blog/EF4-Code-First-and-Interface-Property-Types

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Hi

@Alen_chen & @Jule - Thanks for the tips. I was thinking along the same lines and have successfully implemented this!

Again, many thanks!

ding_jimmy
    • Edited by ding_jimmy Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:32 PM