none
trouble installing VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got problems installing VS2017.

What I did is that I first did install it succesfully on my C: drive witch is a SSD.

after that I tryed to install more futures and got the message that the disk was full.

So I did uninstall VS and tryed to install it on a other station. but this will not work.

below is the log file the installer generates.

somebody knows what to do?

tanks.

log file:

[3ea8:0004][2017-03-09T15:37:00] Error 0x80131500:
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadStringIntoBuffer(Char quote)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseString(Char quote, ReadType readType)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.ReadForType(JsonReader reader, JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateObject(Object newObject, JsonReader reader, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, String id)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateList(IList list, JsonReader reader, JsonArrayContract contract, JsonProperty containerProperty, String id)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateList(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, Object existingValue, String id)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetPropertyValue(JsonProperty property, JsonConverter propertyConverter, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerProperty, JsonReader reader, Object target)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateObject(Object newObject, JsonReader reader, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, String id)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateObject(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerMember, Object existingValue)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.Deserialize[T](JsonReader reader)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Serialization.ModelSerializer`1.Deserialize(TextReader reader)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.InstanceRepository.GetInstance()
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.CacheRepository.<GetInstances>d__27.MoveNext()
       bij System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.VerifyInstallationPath(IServiceProvider services, String installationPath, IInstance instance, IQuery query)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Install(Product product, String destination, CancellationToken token)Unterminated string. Expected delimiter: ". Path 'packages[476].version', line 1, position 61045.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Thank you for your update.

From the screenshot you offered, like that you only download the VS 2017 installer, not install the VS

In this situation, you can try to remove the existing VS 2017 that install failed before as below:

1. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, if there has ‘Microsoft Visual Studio 2017’, right click it and choose ‘Uninstall’

2. Try to delete the following installed folders: (you can back up those folders before any modification, in case we need to roll back)

3. Go to the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio and delete the ‘Packages’ folder and ‘Setup’ folder if there has.

4. Go to the Visual Studio installation folder (normally under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio) and delete the folder ‘2017’

After that, make sure windows update is up-to-date, clean up the %temp% folder and temporarily disable any antivirus software, reboot the computer and re-run the VS 2017 RTM installer as administrator again.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

The "station" means another drive, right?

Before doing this step, you need to uninstall VS cleanly, please have a try with: Visual Studio Uninstaller 

Then please run the installer from command line with argument

/CustomInstallPath  InstallationDirectory

See more command-line parameters and other installation information.

Note: this won't change location of all files, but only of those which can be (by design) installed onto different location. Be warned that there is many shared components which will be installed into shared repositories on drive C: without any possibility to change their path (unless you do some hacking using mklink /j (directory junction, i.e."hard link for folder")

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Thanks for the answer,

before I try this a quick question; I still have a working Visual studio 2015 on my computer. would I loose that?

regards

Rob

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:22 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Visual Studio Uninstaller tool could also uninstall the VS 2015. if you are intend to keep the VS 2015 on your machine, please be careful about using this tool.

About uninstalling the VS 2017, you could run the installer setup .exe> continue, to uninstall it directly:

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

sorry for my retarded reaction on your suggestion.

I do not get a uninstall link in the installation screen

If I select Install I get the screen with all the options I can install I select then only ASP.NET web development, Change the Location in E:\Visual studio 2017  witch is an empty directory and klik the install button. I get then nearly immediatelythe following Error:

So I select the view log link and get the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[3e4c:0009][2017-03-15T18:50:17] Error 0x80131500:
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadStringIntoBuffer(Char quote)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseString(Char quote, ReadType readType)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.ReadForType(JsonReader reader, JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.PopulateList(IList list, JsonReader reader, JsonArrayContract contract, JsonProperty containerProperty, String id)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.CreateList(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, JsonContract contract, JsonProperty member, Object existingValue, String id)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.SetPropertyValue(JsonProperty property, JsonConverter propertyConverter, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerProperty, JsonReader reader, Object target)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)
       bij Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.Deserialize[T](JsonReader reader)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Serialization.ModelSerializer`1.Deserialize(TextReader reader)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.InstanceRepository.GetInstance()
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.CacheRepository.<GetInstances>d__27.MoveNext()
       bij System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.VerifyInstallationPath(IServiceProvider services, String installationPath, IInstance instance, IQuery query)
       bij Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Install(Product product, String destination, CancellationToken token)Unterminated string. Expected delimiter: ". Path 'packages[476].version', line 1, position 61045.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's where things are ending with my knowledge.

I do not want to risk to loose VS 2015 also because I use it every day.

Please HELP

regards

Rob

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:56 PM
  • When you say uninstall VS cleanly... does that mean I need to uninstall EVERY version of VS I have installed, before installing VS17?

I installed VS17 on a computer with no VS and it worked fine. When trying to install VS17 on computers that already have VS12, 13 and 15, I get errors. Does this mean I have to get rid of all instances of VS to run 17?

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for your update.

From the screenshot you offered, like that you only download the VS 2017 installer, not install the VS

In this situation, you can try to remove the existing VS 2017 that install failed before as below:

1. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, if there has ‘Microsoft Visual Studio 2017’, right click it and choose ‘Uninstall’

2. Try to delete the following installed folders: (you can back up those folders before any modification, in case we need to roll back)

3. Go to the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio and delete the ‘Packages’ folder and ‘Setup’ folder if there has.

4. Go to the Visual Studio installation folder (normally under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio) and delete the folder ‘2017’

After that, make sure windows update is up-to-date, clean up the %temp% folder and temporarily disable any antivirus software, reboot the computer and re-run the VS 2017 RTM installer as administrator again.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:49 AM
  • You are my hero!!

step 3 and 4 did the trick

thank you very much, one more happy programmer ;-)

Rob

Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:04 AM