Geofencing enter/exit events not firing consistently

Question

• Hello,

While researching the new Geofencing feature available for apps within Windows 8.1 and have been receiving inconsistent results.  For my test application I am creating two Geofences and adding them to the GeofenceMonitor's list. 

Both Geofences are being set with the following properties:

MonitorStates = MonitoredGeofenceStates.Entered | MonitoredGeofenceStates.Exited

SingleUse = false

DwellTime = new TimeSpan(0,0,1)  - 1 second

Geoshape = new Geocircle(<coordinates>, 100)  - 100 meter radius

I am finding that the GeofenceStateChanged event always fires on my initial location and the GeofenceState is set to Entered.  However, this event does not always fire upon exiting the Geofence radius and is very inconsistent being triggered upon entering/exiting the range of my other Geofence.  I have roughly driving 40mph while performing these tests. 

During testing Geofences as a Background task I am receiving very similar results. 

I am performing my testing using a 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro on a Microsoft Surface tablet.  I am connecting to WIFI using a Verizon 4G LTE mobile broadband device.

Are there known issues with the accuracy of this feature and if not could someone please provide me with suggestions for receiving consistent results?  I appreciate any and all help!

Thank you,

Eric

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:53 PM

Answers

All replies