VSPackage Migration from VS2008 to VS2010 with .NET 2.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I want to migrate my VSPackage to support VS2010. Do I need to migrated my VSPackage to .NET 4 to support VS2010.

I have VSPackage Reg file already. So I need not create it using new package.

Regrds,

Kamal.

• Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, December 6, 2010 3:06 PM Extensibility related (From:Visual C# IDE)
    Monday, December 6, 2010 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Kamal,

You should be able to register and run your package for VS 2010 without rebuilding it. The VS 2010 IDE will load packages built against all the .net framework versions (2.0 on  up to and including 4.0). I'm not sure about 1.0 or 1.1 though.

I wrote a blog entry earlier in the year entitled "How to register existing packages to run under VS 2010 Experimental Instance" that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Hi Ed,

What is the need for VSIX file when we already have .pkgdef file. I think We can install the our vspackage by coping .pkgdef file to extension folder. this pkgdef file can reference the vspackage.dll installed in separate product folder.

Can you please tell what advantage this VSIX file offer. For installation of our package i am thinking of coping .pkgdef file to extension folder by the installer. I think this should be sufficient.

Please give your opinion.

Regards,

Kamal.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:14 PM
  • A VSIX file is just a .zip that allows you to more easily deploy your component. You don't have to use one, but it allows you to avoid authoring a setup/install program. In some cases you may still want/need to use a .MSI, for example, if you need to install components outside the VS path, or edit registry keys outside the VS hive.

Quan wrote a good article describing .VSIX files entitled "What is a VSIX" back during the beta. Gary wrote an interesting blog entry on "VSIX Best Practices" that may also be helpful.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:41 AM