none
[Desktop Bridge] The data area passed to the system call is too small

Question

• One of my Windows 10 Store customers can't launch the app he bought, and gets this error message instead when trying to start the application:

"""The data area passed to the system call is too small"""

Windows 10 Home
    Version 1607
    OS Build 14393.693
    AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.50 Ghz
    16 GB Ram

Is this a known issue? Is there any known workaround?

Original Bug Report: https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4638

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Reinhard,

>>One of my Windows 10 Store customers can't launch the app he bought

Does any others customers meet the same issue after they bought your app? If others customers do not meet the same issue, I think it should be the issue related with the environment.

Besides, could you please share your app name in here?

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Sure. The app can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh52t9x

I've only had one report with this particular issue so far. It might be an issue on the local machine of that user, but I'm not sure what local environment issue could interfere with the Windows Store or UWP Windows Bridge sandbox.

Do you have ideas how one would go about debugging this kind of issue? Would UWP save more detailed logs for these kinds app launcher issues somewhere?

Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Hello Reinhard Pointner,

We need more info in order to help you troubleshoot this. So is it possible for you to contact that particular customer about the following:

1. Does this happen at app launch or while the app was already running?

2. Can you consult your customer whether you can get some logs from your customer?

Best regards,

Barry 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:18 AM

It crashes on open/start and my code is never called as far as I can tell.

I could try. How does one enable logging and where would relevant logs be stored?

Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:02 AM
  • @Reinhard Pointner,

I will try consult from my internal channel about how to log logs. But they are asking whether "your customer is using the trial version and the trial has expired"? 

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Thanks Barry!

The user says:

I bought the windows 10 version thru the windows 10 store. It installs fine. 
    When I try to open/run the program I get the following error.

Friday, January 27, 2017 7:17 AM
  • I've got another user with the same problem. Do you have any ideas how to collect more logging to narrow down and fix this issue?

Original Bug Report: https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4771

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:23 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem with all desktop bridge apps from Store (Language Community, Spotify, Trello, ...). I found exe file, which is called and it works without problems. I changed all security options to my account and try it launch again, but I get same result. Nothing works, only direct launch from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\...

Monday, December 11, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Please take a look and see if this blog post explains and resolves your issue:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sql_server_team/centennial-appsdesktop-bridge-sql-server-and-error-the-data-area-passed-to-a-system-call-is-too-small/

Thanks,
    Stefan Wick

Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:06 AM