ASP.Net Applications RRS feed

• Question

• User-819341190 posted

Hi All,

I have been programming for a few years now, specifically using Visual Basic 6 and then going on to VB.net.

Recently I created my first ASP.Net application using Visual Web Developer 2010 express, however, due to my lack of experience with ASP.net, I'm finding it difficult to work out how I can deploy the finished product. 

Basically I was hoping that when I had created the application, I could upload it to my own webspace and then utilise the application on a page within my own website. But from what I've read, I'm beginning to wonder if ASP.net applications can actually be used in that way. I'm guessing not. But if I'm wrong, I would really appreciate some guidance.

I have read up on IIS, but this seems to be for running websites from a server and I don't utilise a server, hence why I was hoping I could run the application from my own webspace instead.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:27 PM

All replies

• User-1509636757 posted

I could upload it to my own webspace and then utilise the application on a page within my own website.

Of course, this is possible with a fact that, the webspace must have .NET Framework (that you are using in your project) installed, (I understand the hosting space you are talking about where some of your website is already hosted and you want to merge/include your ASP.NET website). Please provide information on whether you are hosting for production (if yes, then hosting on a shared host or a dedicated server), or you are trying to deploy application on your local machine.

Monday, March 27, 2017 3:23 AM
  • User-819341190 posted

Hi There.

The application I have created is not for commerical purposes. I'm a home user and it's just something to help out my girlfriend. Basically she is self employed and every month she has to work out her hours and pay. However as she isn't too good with maths. She sends me over the information and I work it out for her. This gave me the idea about writing an ASP.net application that she could access from my website. This would allow her to enter the details, with the application doing all the maths and producing a final invoice.

The webspace is hosted with my provider TalkTalk. It's not a large webspace, but I don't use it for much else so it would be perfectly adequate for this. It would simply be a two page website. A login screen and a second page with the application on. That's what I hoped to do anyway. 

With regards to the .net framework, would this be something I would need to put on my webspace or is it down to the provider as to whether or not they offer this functionality? If it's something TalkTalk can't do, I would look into maybe hosting the website elsewhere if you can suggest any hosting companies that might provide the tools and functionality I would need.

Thanks.

Monday, March 27, 2017 12:13 PM
  • User-1509636757 posted

Almost all hosting providers supports to .NET Framework. What is your current website? Is that a plain HTML or ASP.NET/ASP, or PHP/any readily available CMS like Wordpress? If your website is hosted with support of .NET Framework version that you are using, I guess it will be as simple as copying published code to your webspace and get a link in your website to open Login page of newly created pages.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:42 AM
  • User-819341190 posted

I've looked into the TalkTalk webspace further and it appears that there is no .net Framework functionality. I do have a domain with another company however and they provide web hosting which does support the .Net framework, so I am currently looking into hosting some webspace with them.

Thanks for the advice and help though, really appreciated.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:57 AM
  • User-1509636757 posted

Once you host with another host provider, you will get separate URL for the deployed application. If you need to include the .NET application you have developed in your website, then add some menu or link in your website that will redirect to the newly deployed .NET Application. just a thought.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:07 AM