The default font sizes on controls are supposed to be OK on an 11" tablet?

Question

• While testing my apps in the simulator for a change, I keep wondering whether the font sizes are right or not. Of course, an emulator on a screen that's an arm's length or more away, displaying your stuff at reduced resolution due to rescaling, isn't exactly giving me proper feedback. If at all, it tells me it's too small. Yet, the Windows UI in the simulator's just as cramped feeling. Since Microsoft's not (yet?) willing to sell developer tablets, I have to rely on another metric.

If I use default styles on controls, I should be OK?

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:59 PM

All replies

• Yes, using the default styles should be OK.

Whether that will be too small to read on an 11" tablet depends on the tablet and its resolution. You will want to make sure your app renders correctly (no clipping, etc.) in high DPI modes as well as low DPI modes, and then users can choose which is most appropriate for their device.

You can currently purchase several different Windows 7 tablets and load Windows 8 on them. Because different tablets all have different specs (above a minimum standard) there isn't a reference model which will tell you how your app will look on all 11" tablets. 

--Rob

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:23 AM
    Owner
  • Ooooh, now you mentioned it, I found the "Ease of Access -> Make everything bigger" setting. Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:41 AM