Unable to execute C#.net exe in c++ code in XP Gina RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I kept one button on XP Gina logon screen and am trying to execute an c#.net windows Form exe using that button using this code 

ShellExecute(NULL, NULL, L"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ReadFile.exe", NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

where ReadFile.exe is made in c#.net , when i pressed that button then it unable to show that windows form 

i tried to execute cmd.exe also but its not showing that cmd windows also

i used system("start C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe"); also but unable to show command window.

please tell me how can i execute an external exe in XP gina code that code for Gina i download from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163786.aspx here.

please tell me ...... if there are any solution to execute an external exe

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks to all to contribution with this question, now i got the solution how could be load the .net windows at logon screen for this you have to make a dll of a windows form to load that windows you have to call that dll from vc++ code..

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I will move your thread tp the correct forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Which exact thing from that article are you using to run your program?
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

I am executing a C#.net windows form exe. but its not showing on that window form when i am pressing that button on login window of xp gina.

Monday, January 30, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

I am executing a C#.net windows form exe. but its not showing on that window form when i am pressing that button on login window of xp gina.

I know, but I asked which exact feature in that link are you using? For example if you are using WlxActivateUserShell, that's intended to start the user shell. Using it to fire off a NET program that needs the Windows shell isn't going to get very far.
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Well, this is natural, you see GINA is executing as part of winlogon, winlogon is executing on its own secure desktop that general windows don't have access to. So running ShellExecute would fail to show the window.

Why are you trying to do this anyway, is it some kind of attempt to be able to interact with a system without even logging on?

This is a signature

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi Crescens2K,

i am trying this to show domain name and user name in that .net window,i tried to much to execute that exe its working for example if i am try to write data in registry that able to write but this window unable to show on login screen while as i did in windows 7 credential provider i am able to see that .net window after click command link but i add one button on windows xp gina and i am trying to execute any exe but that unable to show any window on login screen.

if there are any way please tell me.

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Hi all,

please can any one tell how we can show that .net windows Form when i press that button on logon dialog in windows xp gina ......

thanks 

yogendra

Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Thanks to all to contribution with this question, now i got the solution how could be load the .net windows at logon screen for this you have to make a dll of a windows form to load that windows you have to call that dll from vc++ code..

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi Yogendra, I am also looking to add button to XP logon screen. I have already done this for Windows 7. But for Windows XP i have no idea how to add this button... Can you please help.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 2:51 AM