What do you do with a WorkflowCompilerResult? RRS feed

• Question

• These are probably stupid questions, but I can see how you can compile a .xoml and rule file together using the Workflow compiler. Two questions I have:

1. If I am compiling into an output assembly, this output assembly will have my workflow plus any other referenced activities. I suppose the purpose of doing this would be to be able to change the .xoml and recompile and when the host referencing this library is ready to start the workflow it has a new version? I'm just trying to figure out, what do you do with the output here, use it as a reference in the host?

2. If I do a compile, as in question 1 but do not specify an output library, I assume it will just be compiled into the executable I am compiling from? Like if I have a Sequential Workflow Console app.

Thanks.

Sunday, December 24, 2006 6:48 PM

Answers

•  stombiztalker wrote:

1. If I am compiling into an output assembly, this output assembly will have my workflow plus any other referenced activities. I suppose the purpose of doing this would be to be able to change the .xoml and recompile and when the host referencing this library is ready to start the workflow it has a new version? I'm just trying to figure out, what do you do with the output here, use it as a reference in the host?

Slight clarification, the output assembly only keeps a reference to any referenced assemblies and does not include them.  To use the resulting assembly you need to explicitly reference it in the host or use reflection to dynamically load the workflow’s Type from the assembly, see this post for info.  If there are any running instances of workflow using the old version of the assembly you need to change the version number when compiling and make sure the output assembly is compiled to a different location, see this post for info.

stombiztalker wrote:

2. If I do a compile, as in question 1 but do not specify an output library, I assume it will just be compiled into the executable I am compiling from? Like if I have a Sequential Workflow Console app.

If you don’t specify the output library you will get the temp assembly that generated by the workflow compiler.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 5:20 PM