Keyboard layout in Windows Store app (Windows 8.1) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  

I want to know if it is possible to show keyboard in an inverted (180 degrees) layout in Windows Store app?

I have managed to change my app's orientation to Landscape flipped but it does not anything with the keyboard layout and shows the same layout. I tried on simulator by rotating it to 180 degrees but the keyboard layout is still towards me (however I want it to be inverted).

Kindly help me out if anyone knows any solution for that.

Thanks!

Saturday, December 28, 2013 2:18 PM

Answers

• Apps cannot control the keyboard. In a real system (rather than the simulator) the keyboard will flip with the inverted screen so it always appears down towards the user.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Arafat Tehsin Monday, December 30, 2013 8:46 PM
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 2:49 PM

All replies

• Apps cannot control the keyboard. In a real system (rather than the simulator) the keyboard will flip with the inverted screen so it always appears down towards the user.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Arafat Tehsin Monday, December 30, 2013 8:46 PM
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Rob. 

However, just for my understanding, I have got another question;

Even if the layout of an app or control (like textbox etc.) is inverted 180 degrees; will keyboard still appear down towards the user or on the other side of screen?

Much thanks!

Arafat

Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:23 AM
  • If auto-rotation is enabled then both the app and the keyboard will always appear right side up with the keyboard on the bottom.

The inverted 180 degrees case is for when the user flips the tablet bottom up. The layout rotates 180 degrees to compensate, since most users don't like reading upside down! (those who do can lock the rotation :) ).

--Rob

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification Rob. :)
    Monday, December 30, 2013 8:47 PM