Can I launch a video (network/Internet) to the default video app? (VB) RRS feed

• Question

• A feature I want in my app is to get a link/filename for a video and then playback that video. The way the links are found is irrelevant, but they will always be a direct link to Internet media (e.g. a podcast link) or a local network file (e.g. an MP4 video on the user's network).

I can get the filename and/or URL for the videos via my app, and I want to play them in the default Windows RT/8 video app. Is this possible? I've tried using LaunchUriAsync, and this always opens IE (and only works for internet media).

I know I can implement a MediaElement to playback the videos, but this requires me to reinvent the wheel (why create a media player in my app when every user already has one - or more - on their system?), and in my eyes it would completely go against the ideas of 'fast and fluid' as well as introducing more complexity and less consistency to the user.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

• LaunchUriAsync (or LaunchFileAsync) are the two available options. You cannot further control in which app the uri or file launches - it will go to the user's default.

I suspect that if you launch a file with a media type extension it will be launch in a media player app than in IE (again though, the details will depend on user settings). You may need to download the file locally and then launch that.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Aaron Xue Friday, December 7, 2012 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:06 AM