replication service disabled RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get the User Profile Replication working between two farms

1. I have UPS working on both farms without any issues
    2. Have installed the admin toolkit on both farms (since I need bi-directional replication)
    3. Have ensured that the farms admin accounts on each farm are Administrators on the UPS service in the other farm with "Manager users" and "Manage Social Data" (I did not give Full Control...not sure if this is necessary)
    4. I am running the replication cmdlets with the farm account
    5. When I run the Get-SPProfilePropertyCollection -Source targetMySite I get an HTTP 503 error (service unavailable)

Any ideas? Also when I look at the services on both servers, it says the Replication Service is disabled. Should this be enabled and set to start automatically? I think I read somewhere that these should not be started using the services control panel.

Thanks in advance,
    Jake.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:58 AM

Answers

• Ran into this again. This time armed with NetMon I started digging deeper. I realized that there was some kind of issue trying to go through the proxy server. So I added a bypass for the target. After that things worked smooth.
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, June 1, 2012 9:43 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:02 AM

All replies

• Could someone atleast let me know if the replication service (windows service) should be running by default? Is the disabled state normal?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:14 PM
  • I am not sure what it was....only two things I did (not sure if one of them fixed the issue) was -

• Added a consuming Managed Metadata service on the consuming farm
    • Logged out and logged back in

Very weird....anyway....now I have the command working fine (took almost 4-5 hours to arrive at the solution...!!)

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Ran into this again. This time armed with NetMon I started digging deeper. I realized that there was some kind of issue trying to go through the proxy server. So I added a bypass for the target. After that things worked smooth.
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, June 1, 2012 9:43 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:02 AM