none
Cannot find Painter RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the instruction on help, setting the Sytle Application to auto, but in Format the Painter could not be found.  I looked all over.  I have Expression version 4.0.1241. Can someone shed some light where I can find the painter icon?
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:31 AM

All replies

• The Format Pauinter icon is the 19th item on the Standard toolbar.
    View->Toolbars->Standard

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:44 AM
  • You are better off creating a class and just applying it rather than using format painter. It is cleaner and easier to maintain your site when you use classes with meaningful names instead of autostyleX with X being a sequential number.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:31 PM
  • I followed the instruction on help, setting the Sytle Application to auto, but in Format the Painter could not be found.  I looked all over.  I have Expression version 4.0.1241. Can someone shed some light where I can find the painter icon?

What Cheryl said. Using the Format Painter you end up with a bunch of anonymous auto-styles, and obviate centralizing common styles in an external style sheet for reuse throughout the site. Instead of having a central location from which to control the appearance of common elements throughout the site, if you decide to change something that is used repeatedly, you have to visit every page and change the auto-styles, and since they are numbered anonymously, and the same style may be identified differently on different pages, this can be quite time-consuming and error-prone.

By naming commonly used styles meaningfully, you can put them in an external style sheet and reference that style sheet from all pages, and reuse that style wherever you wish. Say that you have quotes in a sidebar, for example, styled dark green, bold, Verdana. So, you create a class called, oh, sideQuote, in your external style sheet. Wherever you want to use that style, on any page, simply reference that style sheet in the <head> section of the page, like so:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css" type="text/css" media="screen"/>

That will make all of the styles in that sheet available in the Apply Styles panel (bottom right side of EW interface). When you want to style a sidebar quote with it, simply highlight the quote text, then click the style's name, sideQuote in this case, in the Apply Styles panel.

Now, what makes this so powerful is that you can build a set of styles used throughout your site, enforcing a common look and feel, and not have to remember how you styled a particular page element. More importantly, if you decide sometime later that you want to add a widget or something to your sidebars, or for some other reason change the style of that text from bold to italic, instead of having to visit every single page where you used Format Painter, and figure out which auto-style# needs to be modified on each page (because they can easily all be different, and "auto-style23" may refer to bold on one page, green on another, and italic on another) you change the style from bold to italic in one place, your external style sheet, and all the pages which reference that style sheet are instantly updated.

Yes, it takes time to create a set of coherent, meaningfully named styles for your site, but you are basically doing it as you go, and the advantage is that once you create and name the style, it is available going forward to all pages, and if your site does maintain a consistent look and feel across pages, which is generally taken to be A Good Thing, you will find that the process goes fairly quickly.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:24 AM