ordering the items in the library RRS feed

• Question

• Please guide me how to order based on the number, let's say if it is black in the "order" column, the item low priority, one is high priority. blank one should be at bottom and the one has "1" or  the above should be on top. 1 to and so on...........

Ramanjulu Naidu N

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:08 AM

Answers

• I think that the problem is that if you sort a number column ascending blank is treated as 0 and therefore first.

The easiest way to work around this is to create a new column, of calculated value;

=IF(Order>0,"Y","N")

Sort by new column descending, then order ascending, and hide the new column from view.

(Where "Order" is your number column based on your image)

David Brett | SharePoint Administrator | Kent & London UK

• Edited by David Brett Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:12 PM removed a wierd fullstop
    • Marked as answer by Ramanjjilu Naidu Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure if I'm mis-understanding this but the default view options should work for you?  Just sort descending via the Priority column and any priority that isn't numbered should get be placed below those that are.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:13 AM
    Answerer
  • if the type of column u r talking about is "Number" then , it can achieved by filtering that column- "Largest on top". 

Hope this helps

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes i know if you select descending via the priority column, the blank one goes to bottom, but i can't the items starting from 1 or 2 or so on, whichever is highter.

Ramanjulu Naidu N

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:38 PM
  • as per the above image only the black should go bottom.

Ramanjulu Naidu N

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi Ramanjulu Naidu,

I think this is what you want,

Go to Library -->Library Settings

Here you will see "Sort"

Regards,

Mahesh

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:47 PM
  • I think that the problem is that if you sort a number column ascending blank is treated as 0 and therefore first.

The easiest way to work around this is to create a new column, of calculated value;

=IF(Order>0,"Y","N")

Sort by new column descending, then order ascending, and hide the new column from view.

(Where "Order" is your number column based on your image)

David Brett | SharePoint Administrator | Kent & London UK

• Edited by David Brett Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:12 PM removed a wierd fullstop
    • Marked as answer by Ramanjjilu Naidu Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Thanks David, it works.

Ramanjulu Naidu N

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:59 PM