Access Linked Data with Outlook Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• I have linked Outlook contacts with my Access data base. A Primary Key cannot be assigned to contacts in a linked Table. How can I have this date be in a regular table for use and assigning a Primary Key and not loose the Linked Table that is capturing any updates from outlook.

I tried converting the linked table to a regular table, however, the linked feature is lost when doing this.

I hope this is a clear explanation of my challenge.

Thanks

Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can select more than one field to create a primary key to use.

Hope it helps...

Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:58 PM
  • Hi,

I am using Office2016 and importing the Outlook Contacts as a linked table into Access. The field "Normalized Subject" is assigned as PK by default. And I could change other field like "E-mail address" as PK.

What is your version of Office? In my opinion, Access would automatically assign a primary key for the linked table.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Chenchen Li Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:49 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 4:04 AM
  • I don't understand this: "...this date be in a regular table for use and assigning a Primary Key ...."

In any case: you have a link to Outlook contacts - that's a good thing.  Why is a primary key even a concern in terms of any actual database/application functionality?  Any field that has unique values can be considered/used as if the primary key even if not officially displaying that role in table design. 

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:17 PM