Dual Boot Windows 8 (RAID)

Question

• I have Windows 7 installed on a 2x1TB RAID 0 config (ASUS motherboard) and I tried last night to install Windows 8 on my older hard drive 2TB that is not part of the RAID Config!

So my system has 3 hard drives 2x1TB and 1x2TB HDD and the two 1TB are in a RAID 0 config

Now I get an error when trying to install Windows 8 Devloper Preview with Tools, the issue is it can not see the RAID Hard Drives just the USB im booting from and the 2TB HDD, when I choose the 2TB HDD it says (*boot partition not fount*) and will not install. Has any one come across this?

*I will update the post when I get home with the correct error message

Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• You probably need to install the ASUS RAID drivers during install.  Once the drivers are installed, WinPE will then be able to see and access your RAID 0 setup.

Is the 2TB HDD already in use, or is it a new, unsed drive?  

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:52 PM
  • I tried the drives from Windows 7 but this did not help windows 8 just could not see my RAID Drivers, I have uploaded two images
    Windows 8
    Disk 0 = 2TB Old Drive (I want to install windows 8 on this one)
    Disk 2 = USB Drive for with Windows 8 and Devloper tools (Did not have a dual layer DVD)

Windows 8

Windows 7 (Installing from DVD)
    Disk 0 = 2TB old Drive
    Disk 1 = Windows 7 Raid 0 drive

Windows 7

Now this is the same computer with no differences in settings or drivers?
    I also get the same issue if I install Windows 8 using a DVD without devloper tools (so it fits on single layer DVD)

Technical Beta Tester || Matthew John Earley BSc (hons) || www.o0MattE0o.myby.co.uk

• Edited by o0MattE0o Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:29 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Please try using a method like this, it will allow you to install while Win7 is runnning: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/4d8c3257-35e7-47a7-9d9c-3bccdafbc354
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:15 PM
  • This has not worked I get this error (might be the ISO file)

Also it created these on my boot menu: -

Default: Windows 7
    Timeout: 30 seconds

Entry #1
    Name: Windows Setup
    BCD ID: {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71}
    Drive: F:\
    Bootloader Path: \$WINDOWS.~BT\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
    Name: Windows Developer Preview
    BCD ID: {a87bee33-4251-11e1-a6f2-adf284651d97}
    Bootloader Path: \$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Windows.NEW\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
    Name: Windows 7
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #4
    Name: Windows 8
    BCD ID: {a87bee2d-4251-11e1-a6f2-adf284651d97}
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Im going to try again I redownloaded the ISO again and noticed that the Windows 8 with Devloper tools has been compressed more than when it first was released?

Original
    WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English-Developer.iso = 5,075,286 KB

New
    WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English-Developer.iso = 880,983 KB / 4.83GB when burnt to DVD

New one is higher compression but also it now fits on a single layer DVD

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

• Edited by o0MattE0o Friday, February 17, 2012 12:26 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I tried the drive[r]s from Windows 7 but this did not help windows 8 just could not see my RAID Drivers,

I suppose it's not a given that Windows 8 can use every special driver that was provided for Windows 7.  Or it may be a case where just the Windows 8 DP won't but the release will.  You should report this to Microsoft through the Send Feedback tool so that you can be sure they're aware of it.

With a system that has anything out of the ordinary, such as a RAID controller or uncommon hardware, you have to test exactly as you are doing, and sometimes the answer is "you can't get there from here".  I imagine there may be some old systems just will never be supported by the new OS because of lack of drivers.  Manufacturers have little incentive to update drivers...  If instead they leave you out in the cold you're forced to buy new hardware, and that spurs their sales.

You may be able to work around the problem at some future point by disabling the onboard RAID and getting an external controller that's built for Windows 8 compatibility.  That could give you better performance as well.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Friday, February 17, 2012 2:47 PM corrected grammar error
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I would love to but I did not go the the Build conf' in USA and in turn do not get an invite to the connect website so I can not submit feedback like I have done in the past on Windows Vista and Windows 7, I think microsoft are trying to get away from this type of testing and go more into Apple style of Testing...

My System is just over 1 year old: -

• ASUS P6X58D-E MOTHERBOARD
    • EVGA GEFORCE GTX 580 1536MB (they sent me the BlackOps version :P)
    • INTEL CORE I7 950 3.06GHZ
    • G.SKILL 12GB (3X4GB) DDR3 PC3
    • CORSAIR HX 850W ATX2.2 MODULAR S
    • LG BH10LS30 BD-RW (Also have added a DVD-RW Drive)
    • COOLER MASTER HAF 912 PLUS
    • SPOINT 2TB 5400 SATAII 32MB NC <<< OLD HDD now have 2 1TB WD Black HDD
    • XFI TITANIUM

All these are 100% Compatible with Windows 7 and have all the latest drivers direct from manufacture, but I will try with the DVD I burnt today when I get home from work...

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:21 PM
  • On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:21:56 +0000, o0MattE0o wrote:

I would love to but I did not go the the Build conf' in USA and in turn do not get an invite to the connect website so I can not submit feedback like I have done in the past on Windows Vista and Windows 7, I think microsoft are trying to get away from this type of testing and go more into Apple style of Testing...

There are loads of posts in this forum about how to access, install, and
    use the Feedback tool.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Help!  I'm trapped in a Chinese computer factory!

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:04 PM
  • At the moment I cant even get Windows 8 installed I think it just dose not like my Mother boards RIAD setup :(, I dont know if its possible but I might remove RAID and see if windows 7 can set up RAID 0 on the boot volume?

At the Moment I cant install Windows 8 in RAID so I cant use the Support tool... I hope that the Community Preview has changed this...

• Edited by o0MattE0o Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:46 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:12 PM
  • It just dose not like my RAID on the "ASUS P6X58D-E MOTHERBOARD" I have installed it perfectly ok with out RAID installed but I would like to be able to use RAID on my Main OS  (Faster I/O)... even when I have done a clean installation of Windows 7 on the RAID Hard Drive with the boot sector on the single drive, I get this displayed?

If I leave it nothing happens but as soon as I restart I can just boot back up into Windows 7 with no issues?

Error?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:43 PM
  • o0MattE0o

o0MattE0o

FIAT

Partner

Recent Achievements 6 0 0
    Forums Answerer I Forums Replies I First Helpful Vote

I have a problem... i think you might be able to help me...

I have a msi GT683r
         The laptop came with default installed windows and following partition:
                                                   OS_Install ( C: ): larger than 500gb
                                                   Data ( D: ):368gb or so

Then i partitioned my C: drive using a partition manager and renamed it.... so now my partition is :
                                                   DrGeneral( C ):199gb
                                                   Data ( D: ):368gb
                                                   local disk ( E: ):353 gb or roundabout

Problem started like this:

While  turning on my laptop i got curious and hit the F3 key..... this turned out to be recovery .... unfortunately i dont have any recovery files saved,....(Once i had made one...I saved it in E... and later i delete it)...

Now my laptop does not Boot.... it says... MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM

Then i decided to re-install windows...

I formatted my current   C drive (i.e. DrGeneral (C)  )..... and now i'm unable to install windows because of RAID 0 .

I dont know how to install windows... while i keep my HDD 500gb *2  in raid..

Please help me install windows 7 in my c drive ....I want to keep two disks in raid... i dont want to lose my data...
    Please give me step by step process to install windows....

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:59 PM
  • On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:59:59 +0000, Dr.General wrote:

*Please help me install windows 7*in my c drive ....I want to keep two disks in raid... i dont want to lose my data...
    Please give me step by step process to install windows....

Please do not post the same question multiple times to same forum. As with
    your first post, this is not the correct forum. You'll find Windows 7
    support forums here:

http://answers.microsoft.com

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:10 PM
  • :Edit:
    What Paul Said :D

:OnTopic

Im going to wait a few more days and try CP version to see if that is any differance, fingers crossed...

• Edited by o0MattE0o Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:14 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Just to make sure you're looking to the right people to get things working, Matt...

Understand that the drivers needed to run your RAID hardware have to be provided to Microsoft by the maker of the hardware, so that they're provided with the OS in its installation media.  If they do not do this, you still have a chance that they might release drivers that can you can add manually at installation time.

But in every case it's the hardware maker, not Microsoft, that you need to look to for Windows 8 support.

I just wanted to help clarify that.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:23 PM
  • I understand that :D

I have all the newest drivers and like the pictures show the RAID works a dream with windows 7 and the PC has no issues with Windows 8 untill I try and use RAID!

I think the controller is a Intel® ICH10R controller

So my hope is that Windows 8 CP will have more drivers that can be used from Windows 7, as no Hardware Maker that I know of will release Drivers for Windows 8 untill its at minimum RC build...

Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:17 AM
  • I know that the CP is out tomorrow but just wanted to ask

Can some one tell me if the "Sha 1 hash" are correct on the website: -
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

because Im getting a differnt Sha 1 Hash code.

Im using http://www.implbits.com/HashTab.aspx nice little programe to get the Hash codes

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Hello o0MattE0o,

The Sha 1 hash are correct for all versions of Windows Developer Preview on the MSDN website.
    If your Sha 1 hash does not match the download is somehow corrupted and will not install the operating system correctly.

There are many different ways to verify the Sha 1 hash.
    You can use the following KB article:
    Availability and description of the File Checksum Integrity Verifier utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290

Thanks,

Marilyn

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I downloaded the file again from Home and its the same on the website thank you for the info though...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:16 PM